Monday, April 1, 2013

Training 4/1-4/7 (race week)

4/1- AM- Start of the 2nd quarter and I forgot to mention that I passed 500 miles on the year yesterday.  I got up early and did a quickie this morning just as a small test.  Finished 2 miles in 13:56 (6:58 pace) with splits of 7:09-6:47.  Effort was moderate up until the last 200.  I have cut the Thym-Adren to 4 pills and it still feels like I am taking a little bit too much.  Again, going under 3 makes me feel uneasy because the medical report showed adrenal hyper-function that was bordering on severe.  That ratio has not been under 15 since 2008, when I was still adrenaline deficient. The ideal is 4.17 but my target range is 6-8.  Every time that I have gone off it, I went into hyperdrive.

PM- Lakeshore 6.5 at moderate effort.  Time was 47:40 (7:20 pace).  Solid workout but once again, I did not feel race sharp.  Slight fade towards the end and was working harder than I should have been but I kept it under 7:30 all the way.  Pace was on target but this is not an "A" because of the way that I felt.  Added a half mile cool.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=9.0

4/2- Will's speed session.  1 mile warm, 5 sets of 200-400, 1 mile cool.  Just the type of workout that I was looking for.  200s were all 36-37.  1st 4 400s were 78 or 79 then I burned a 67.7 to close it out.  This workout was nothing special until the last 400.  If I was in top form, I would have managed 75/35 but in fairness, I haven't done much speed work yet and I should get there by summer.  I was very pleased to be well under 70 on the final and out-sprinted a 17:45 5K man.  Still, I was usually a good 5+ ticks down on him on the previous 4 and need to stay with him in the future.  Solid performance overall.  I took only 3 Thym-Adren and it was a good call.  My only questionable choice was a Sobe drink that contained more Vitamin C than OJ.  More C when I got home made it worse.  I am uneasy about not being able to tolerate C and the fact that a single Thym-Adren dose makes such a big difference.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=4.0

4/3- Another cold and rainy day.  Below 50 with a steady rain so I stayed inside for a 5 mile tempo.  I performed up to expectations on back to back quality days.  Time was 32:54 (6:35 pace).  I had to fight hard for the sub-33 and battled back from 10 seconds in the red.  1st half: 16:22, 2nd half: 16:32.  Solid but not stellar.  Good news is that it appears that I am stable at 3 Thym Adren.  I may have to cut Paramin further.  I'm running low on Fructosin and must conserve it as long as I can.  I will likely run easy tomorrow then take 2 days off.  I am not in PR shape and this is not a PR course either so that's why I'm going hard in race week.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=5.5

4/4- Run with Michael on Lakeshore.  He said that he wanted to run 7:30 pace but it wound up at 6 miles in 43:15 (7:13 pace) plus a mile cool.  Conditions were 50 degrees with wind and light mist.  It was raw, man!  A bit harder than I planned and I was working towards the end but still pretty strong overall. Last workout before St. Louis.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.0

4/5- Planned rest day.  I'm leaving work early and hope to get about halfway there tonight.  I'm aiming for Jackson, TN.  I may not be able to post again until after the weekend.

4/6- If I do run anything today, it will be just a few strides.  With the work I've done this week, I think a 2nd rest day will be better than a junk run.  I need a "B-" or a sub-1:35 for a win this week.

4/7- Finished the GO St. Louis half and that's all I'm saying.
Grade:D-/3 credits/distance=13.5

Weekly summary:
I've lost 7 out of 10 now.  No other comments needed.
Distance=39.0/ GPA= 22.3/9= 2.48
YTD: 540 miles, 7-7 with a 2.71 GPA.

No comments: