Monday, April 29, 2013

Training 4/29-5/5 (race week)

4/29- Felt no better this morning if not worse.  I have ordered a hair test kit and the modulator supplement (ADHS).  In the meantime, I have determined that the fatigue and depression is intolerable so I picked up some raw adrenal glandular and began feeling more energized.  This is NOT the long-term answer and I hope to only take it for a week.  I have experienced slow oxidation symptoms before but it was related to fructose intolerance and was pre-Fructosin.  Today's workout was pretty decent.  Fast finish 6 miler on Lakeshore in a time of 43-flat (7:10 pace).  Hit 5 in 36:18 then turned it up for a 6:42 finish.  This project to about 44:40 for 10K and in a race setting with an even pace, I'm likely mid-high 43 right now.  That's pretty bad by my standard but not so awful that I can't enjoy the experience.  I'm listed as probable.
Grade:B+/1 credits/distance=6.0

4/30- Terrible interval workout.  400-800-1200-800-400.  No speed and no strength.  A 6:00 overall pace would be a moderate goal and I was able to do it on Synthroid when I was only in 21:xx shape for 5K.  Today's splits were 90-3:08 then I really lost it (4:59-3:19) and had to rally just to do that.  I came back to finish with a "Rocket" 88 final quarter.  I'm usually under 70.  The culprit was the adrenal caps.  My worst fear is that I will try all the possible pills and find nothing that works, which is what happened when I hit Stage 3 adrenal fatigue in 2005.  I tried some thyroid caps (also stimulatory) expecting to feel worse yet got better.  It is possible that the adrenal glandular is okay for me but the synergistic herb is not.
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=3.0

5/1- AM- 2 mile quickie indoors in 13:50 with a negative split (7:03-6:47).  Felt better than yesterday but had diarrhea for the 2nd straight session.  The Florida decision will likely be made tomorrow evening.

PM- Trak Shak 5 in 33:57 (6:47 pace).  Hard tempo effort.  Held a strong pace for 2 miles and came through the marker in 13:02 but after that point, I was barely under 7 the rest of the way.  Perhaps the bad stuff from yesterday hasn't fully cleared.  At any rate, I still believe that I should go to Pensacola this weekend.  The absolute best that I can hope for is a 6:45 pace (low 42 for 10K) but would not be surprised if I am over 43.  MUST go out conservative this time!  There is a chance of rain but I do have rain gear and I figure the chance of it being really bad at race time is slim.  Not sure what I will run tomorrow.  These workouts are NOT tiring me out.  I'd be just as fatigued if I was not running.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=7.0

5/2- Indoor 5 and I could not restrain myself.  Time is down to 33:26 (6:41 pace).  This may hurt me on Saturday but it's just another glorified training session so I really don't care. So, I might run a 43 instead of a 42.  So what? I'm gonna suck either way.  I upped the Thyroid caps from 1 pill to 2 and did not feel a significant difference.  I suppose that is a good sign.  More on that later.  I'm hoping that I will be able to send out my hair sample tomorrow morning.  If it's not in the mail, it will be cut off on Sunday.  A bit of foot pain, which is a concern.  Saturday will be the last day on the Thyroid caps.
Grade:B+/ 2 credits/distance=5.5

5/3- Planned rest day.  I'm coming down to Pensacola for the Fiesta 10K.

5/4- Fiesta 10K in 42:20.   Pretty much what I expected.  More details to come.  Long warm and cool.
Grade:B-/3 credits/distance=7.5

5/5- Easy 7 on the Brookwood-Lakeshore route.  I got dropped by the 2nd tier Gnomes but that's okay.  Finished in 52:33 (7:30 pace), which was pretty steady from Mile 3 onward.  It was not a stroll in the park but I was never uncomfortable.  1st day on the ADHS pills and it appears to be working okay ...  for now that is.  Clear skies with 50 degree temps this morning.  There won't be many days like this over the next few months. 
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.0

Weekly summary:
Well, I almost won this week but almost doesn't count.  With the exception of the injury-plagued 2010, I have never been under .500 this late in a year.  There may be reason for optimism heading forward but I know better than to get my hopes up.
Distance=41.0/ GPA= 29.0/10=2.90
YTD: 675 miles.  Record: 8-9 with a 2.71 average.

No comments: