Monday, May 13, 2013

Training 5/13-5/19

5/13- MUCH better.  Lakeshore 5 on a picture perfect day.  Moderate effort and finished with a time of 36:16 (7:15 pace).  That's GMP but I still had to put forth far too much effort to run this.  Still no Endodren.  Tomorrow for sure.  In the meantime, my best option is clearly the Thyroid caps.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.0

5/14- ANGRY!  No Endodren yet again.  I'm calling them tomorrow.  No improvement over yesterday.  Lakeshore 5 again in 36-flat (7:12 pace) running almost all out.  This was a planned tempo so it's judged harshly.  The medical report is on the way and could arrive as soon as Thursday.  If it's a full scale relapse, I'm done as a serious runner.
Grade:B-/1 credits/distance=5.5

5/15- Go figure.  I took no Thyroid caps this morning and felt the same as usual.  Workout was a carbon copy of the last 2 days.  Trak Shak 5 in 36:10 (7:14 pace).  Pretty even splits too.  This one was not intended to be hard so the grading is easier.  The Endodren has arrived this evening.  What I want to see is a gradual but steady improvement, not a 1 day cure.  Medical report could arrive tomorrow but most likely I am looking at a Friday arrival.  I'm hoping for slow oxidation with no adrenal fatigue.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.5
Update: Took the Endodren and there is no immediate negative reaction.  Can't say if it's positive yet.

5/16- Endodren worked just like it should have.  Jittery in the morning but increased energy for the workout.  5 mile tempo indoors in a solid 33:50 (6:46 pace).  1st half: 16:47, 2nd half: 17:03.
Got home to find bad news.  The medical report is not good.  My worst fear was adrenal fatigue, which has NOT happened.  Blood sugar also improved.  Thyroid and adrenals are VERY overactive again.  Why do I have slow oxidation symptoms?  I have one idea but I'm calling the doctor tomorrow.  Endodren did work well today but it's not the answer long-term.  More details to come tomorrow.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=5.0

5/17- AM- Planned rest day but I will likely do a junk run in the evening as a test.  The only idea that I have is a selenium deficiency that was revealed on the hair test.  My value was 26% of ideal and selenium is connected with thyroid function.  I'm going to the health food store at lunch to pick up a bottle in hopes that the over-stimulation will kick in hard and I'll be back to the Thym-Adren.  If it does not, I must take a break from running but will probably train through to Peachtree.

PM- Good news, the over-stimulation did kick in hard shortly after taking the Selenium pills.  I took 5 Thym-Adren pills after that and it helped.  Workout was a 2 mile junk run indoors in a time of 15:44 (7:52 pace) with a slight negative split (7:56-7:48).  I will do continued research on selenium deficiency.
Grade:Pass/0 credit/distance=2.0

5/18- AM Over-stimulation was significant this morning.  I believe that I have a copper induced Vitamin E deficiency.  E is needed to produce selenium and I hope that going forward, it will be all that I need.  Tried a half of magnesium and felt the return of the blahs.  I have no idea what to make of that.  The workout was a lame 4 miler indoors in a time of 31:55 (7:59 pace).  Pace was steady at 8 give or take for the first 3 miles then faded and really had to increase the effort to get a sub-8 overall.

PM- Naked 2 mile on Wisteria and felt HORRIBLE after taking magnesium.  I'm going off the Paramin at least for a while.  Mg is poison to me and I have no idea why.
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=6.0

5/19- AM-6 miles indoors due to a threat of rain.  Finished in 46:41 (7:47 pace) for a decent improvement over yesterday.  1st half: 23:12, 2nd half: 23:29.  Kept the pace under 8 each mile.  Nothing that contains even a trace of magnesium for a whole week.  Scored 1 hollow victory this weekend by clinching a 1.0 GPA for the year.

PM- Impromtu 2 miler on Wisteria in 14:33 (7:16 pace).  Downside in 7:10, upside in 7:23.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=8.0

Penalty:  Failure to complete a double digit run.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=0

Weekly summary:
Nothing more to say that is not already apparent.  After a 4-0 start, I have lost 11 of 15 and have never been cold this long before. I am cautiously optimistic about a win next week.
Distance= 37.0/ GPA= 18.9/8= 2.36
YTD: 742 miles.  Record: 8-11.  Cum GPA is around 2.65.

No comments: