Monday, November 4, 2013

Training 11/4-11/10 (race week)

11/4- Planned rest day.  I may do a very short junk run later just to see how I feel.  I may cut my dosage down to 5 Thym-Adren today.  If I go under 4, Vitamin C won't work anymore and I'll have to take Cal/Mag.  I really want to stay at or above 4 at least until the end of the month.

PM- Spaced out the doses today and found that 5 pills were not enough and I knew it before the run.  I also found that 5.5 pills were not enough either.  On 6 pills however, my legs had some nice pop despite the hard session yesterday.  I ran down Wisteria with no warmup and covered a half mile in a comfy 3:26.  I then popped another half pill and waited for just a few minutes for it to kick in.  I wasn't horrible on the back half but clearly I had lost a step.  The next half mile took me 3:42 with the same effort for an overall time of 7:08.  Finished with a half mile cool in the parking lot.

I can learn a lot just in a junk run.  6 pills is clearly the right formula at this time and I doubt that it will drop below 4 before Thanksgiving.  If I am off +/- even half a pill, I will suffer.  Still, even with the extreme sensitivity, this condition would be manageable if the key formula stayed constant.  It is the INSTABILITY that is wrecking my life.  "I wish I could run like you."  I hear that all the time from joggers at the track.  Be careful what you wish for.
Grade:Pass/0 credit/distance=1.5

11/5- AM.  Basic 5 miler at Gold's in 36:53 (7:23 pace).  Legs had decent power and felt pretty relaxed all the way.  Slowed just a tad in the 2nd half (18:20-18:33).  Also, my weight was up to 161, which is a minor concern.  I did take all 6 pills upon rising this morning after spacing it out and taking 2 yesterday afternoon.  That explains why I was a little sluggish but overall pretty strong and I believe I can go much faster over 13.1 fresh in a race setting.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=5.5

11/6- AM Run with the Gnomes.  Lakeshore 6.5 in 47:17 (7:17 pace).  Not a bad workout but I could not hack it with big boys who doing 7:05.  I was working harder than I should have been.  This is roughly 1:35:20 pace for a half mary but I would have been hard pressed to hold that pace today for another 6.5.  I'm going to try to reduce to Vitamin C since I have reduced the Thym-Adren.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=7.0

11/7- Skipped a dose of Vitamin C and it ended in disaster.  Goal workout was a short tempo and I called it quits after 1 Mile in 7:36 with a rapidly slowing pace.  I'm not surprised.  If I was taking 8 Thym-Adren, I'd need a full Vitamin C.  If I was taking less than 4, I'd need none.  Now that I'm on 6, a half pill should work.  Please, don't anyone say that you want to run like me!  I'm not grading today and will do an abbreviated version of the workout tomorrow morning, which will give me 48 hours rest.  If I quit the Vitamin C, the extreme Magnesium sensitivity will flare up.  I can't win.  Weight is down to 157, which is good news.
Grade:Non Pass/0 credit/distance=1.0

11/8- Final workout before race day was better than yesterday but expectations are running pretty low.  1 Mile in 6:14, stopped to stretch for maybe 2 minutes then clocked another Mile in 6:12 followed by a very slow cool.  Times were decent but I did not feel real good.  It's too late to make any radical changes now but it appears that very soon, I will be forced off Vitamin C due to less Thym-Adren.  This change will force me back on Cal/Mag.  Weight: 159.  It's 9:00 AM and I'm hitting the road and aim to be in Kentucky before dark.
Grade:B-/2 credit/distance=3.0

11/9- Planned rest day.  Easy drive from eastern Kentucky into Huntington.

11/10- Marshall Univ. Half marathon in 1:35:50 (7:18 pace)
Grade:B/4 credits/distance=14.0

Weekly summary:
Done with the Vitamin C and going back to Cal/Mag plus Thym-Adren.  It was another "lenient" win this week.  That's 2 in a row.  Win next week and that's called a winning streak.
Distance= 32.0/GPA=24.1/8= 3.01
YTD= 1,552 miles.  17-26 record on the year.

No comments: