Monday, June 2, 2014

Training 6/2-6/8

6/2-AM- Another test day and it did not go well.  Tried to run without the ADHS and it predictably did not go well.  Did 1 Mile in 8:26 on S. Lakeshore.  Popped 2 ADHS and hit the trail on Lakeshore and it really did not go much better.  I had a respectable 15:12 split at 2 miles then CRASHED.  Mile 3 was 8:11 and Mile 4 was 9:52.  At that point, I had seen enough and walked the last mile.

PM- Just out of curiosity, I wanted to see what I could do if I tried the stimulator (Endodren) and I improved to a 14:28 (7:14 pace) for 2 miles on Wisteria.  Where to go from here?  I dare not take the Endodren long-term.  I won't know where I stand chemically for another 3 weeks.  Really, all I can do is ride it out and hope for gradual improvement.  ANGRY!
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=7.0

6/3- Another "interesting" day.  Spain Park Mile without ADHS and my time improved all the way to 6:52 with a 91 second final lap.  Then, I took 2 ADHS and clocked a 3:31 half mile (7:02 pace) so I was actually slightly WORSE after the ADHS.  I began to suspect the copper to be the culprit so I tried a protein bar and was MUCH WORSE in the evening  Did just 1.5 miles at Gold's in 13:20 (8:53 pace).  I'm done with all pills that contain copper.  I'm only 3 options away from the end of the line, which means retirement.
Option #1- Take Cal/Mag only
Option #2- Add thymus alone with no synergistic minerals
Option #3- Try an enzyme based supplement that may allow copper tolerance
Grade:None/0 credit/distance=3.0

6/4- AM- Legs felt as stiff as a board but my Mile time was down to 6:16.  Splits were 96-98-96-86.  Took no pills in the morning, only the Cal/Mag in the evening.  NO copper!  That's a 36 second improvement despite the copper yesterday.  Let's strive for the 5s tomorrow.

PM- Trak Shak 5.5 in 42:09 (7:40 pace) plus a cool.  Effort was between easy and moderate.  Splits ranged from 7:27-7:51 but the 1st and 2nd half splits were pretty even.  I'll take it.
Grade:B/2 credit/distance=7.0

6/5- AM I made it.  Spain Park Mile in 5:55.85 (87-91-91-86).  May have let up a bit in the last 200 because I knew I was comfortably under 6.  Chopped off another 21 seconds from yesterday on just my 2nd full day on just the Cal/Mag.  Definitely room for more improvement but the progress will be slower from here on out.

PM- First time since before Nova Scotia that I felt anything like my old self.  6 miles in 44:36 (7:26 pace).  Slow start but really got into a nice groove from Mile 2-5 then let off a bit in Mile 6 but still clocked a solid 7:30 split.  1st half: 22:18, 2nd half: 22:18.  How about that?  Added a cool.
Grade:A-/2 credit/distance=8.0

6/6- Elective rest day.  I am a little sore in the feet and hips but no need to panic.  Not real smart to push for a 50 mile week at this stage of my training.  Just stay in the 40 range.

Update: It is becoming increasingly clear that the Cal/Mag is the source of my soreness.  What to make of that?  I don't know but I don't like it.  I'm surely doomed if I can't take Mag long-term.  I may need adrenal support like most everyone else instead of inhibition.  Separate post to come.

6/7- Steamy 11 mile run with the Gnomes.  Finished in 82:05 (7:28 pace).  Great first 8 then slipped to the 7:50 range for the last 3.  No big deal.  I think it was the poor hydration (water w/no Gatorade) more than the fatigue.  Dewpoint was 72 and it had rained last night so it was pretty rough.  Pleased with the performance.  No pills in almost 24 hours.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=11.0

6/8- 5 miles at Gold's in a strong 34:50 (6:58 pace).  Felt jittery but that was due to the increasing oxidation rate, which is to be expected off the pills.  This was NOT even close to tempo effort.  I had plenty left at the end and clocked a 36 second last 200.  Added a cool.  As expected, the thymus caused me to stiffen up and I may have to endure a rough day tomorrow.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=6.0

Weekly summary:
Nice come from behind win.  Ninth of the year, which snaps a 4 week losing streak.  As of now, I cannot tolerate anything that slows the oxidation rate and am prepared to take gentle adrenal support on a temporary basis.  If I don't take anything and specifically, if I don't take Magnesium, I know exactly what will happen.  I will get RED HOT for a few weeks then suffer another heart breaking crash.  NEVER AGAIN!
Distance= 42.0/ GPA= 26.5/8= 3.31
YTD: 732 miles.  Record: 9-13 with a 2.59 GPA.

No comments: