Sunday, July 27, 2014

Training 7/28-8/3

I am now within 1 win of .500 on the year and have a good feeling heading into this week.  I am listed as "questionable" for the Woodstock 5K on Saturday.  I will do a little tweaking with the formula by adding a touch more Mag while keeping the Cal as it is.  I am sticking with the divided doses but may increase the morning dose by one just to see what it does.

7/28- All the questions have been answered now.  Took 3 Thym-Adren in the morning and felt a bit sluggish but was better by lunch time.  Did 5 @ 7:14 with a very even pace.  Then I popped an extra Mag pill and was weakened.  Managed only a 7:39 over the next mile with the same effort.  Overall time was a still strong 43:50 for 6 miles (7:18 pace).  The formula is 4 Thym-Adren in divided doses with 625 mg of Cal/Mag.  I can only tolerate small deviations from the 1:1 ratio and will be weakened if my Thym-Adren dose is either 3 or 5.  I don't like it but it could be worse and I'm going with it until it stops working.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=6.0

7/29- Split decision today.
AM- Oak Mountain Mile in 5:33.1 Fastest time since 2012.  This time, I got out faster and had to fight hard to hold on (80-85-86-82) so a slight positive split.  I think I am in sub-5:30 shape and may well have done it if I had been fully fresh.  I did take 5 Thym-Adren yesterday but only 2 this morning and may not have been quite 100%.  Still, I have pulled to within 5% of my adult PR (15 sec/318 sec).  I've always said that performances should vary by no more than that amount.  Suppose that you have a best of 20:00 for 5K.  With similar training and under similar weather conditions, you should be no slower than 21:00 even on an "off day" or it raises a flag that something may be wrong.

PM- Took a 3rd pill around lunch time and was poorer immediately.  I was hoping to equalize by the evening but I did not.  Rather than fight through a standard issue workout, I turned it into a junk run.  Pace had slipped to 7:40 by Mile 2 and likely would have been 8+ if I had kept going.
I'll try to come back fresh tomorrow and I'm only taking 1 pill tonight.
Grade:B/2 credit/distance=3.5

Update: I won't be shocked if my Thym-Adren dose drops to 3 before too long.  I'll be uneasy about it going below that and REALLY don't want to have to take molybdenum to tolerate it.

7/30- A cut is certainly needed.  Took 2 in the morning and felt sluggish immediately.  This time however, I did move towards equilibrium as the day progressed.  Trak Shak run in pleasant conditions.  Solid but relaxed steady pace all the way that never slowed to 7:30.  Finished the 7.5 mile loop in 54:38 (7:19 pace).  Good job.  Took another pill after the workout and quickly stiffened up.  I'm going with 3 pills tomorrow in a 1/1/1 division.  I don't think copper is the problem because I had no issue with a high copper protein bar.  I REALLY hope to stay on 3 Thym-Adren.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.5

7/31- #1- Sprint workout at Pelham.  Did 6x200 nearly all out with as much recovery as I wanted.  I had hoped to average 32 seconds and managed to do a little better (31.6-31.7-31.0-31.2-33.2-30.5).  An average of 31.5 (4:12 pace). plus a half mile warm and quarter mile cool.  Felt good to fire up those fast twitch fibers.  I think I could run a 63-64 in a 400 now, which isn't bad for no real event specific training but I'm afraid I'm too old for another shot at 59.9.

#2- Only 1 hour later: Gold's 5 in 36:36 (7:19 pace) with splits that ranged from 7:15-7:21.  I had just planned to run a long cool down but was remarkably strong.  Barring disaster, I will be at .500 at the end of the week.
Grade:A-/2 credit/distance=7.0

8/1- Planned rest day.  I deserve one.

8/2- Run with the Gnomes.  12 miles on a rolling course in a time of 89:47 (7:29 pace).  Solid performance overall.  This was not an "A" only because I faded down the stretch.  Hit 10 miles in 74:09 then faded to 7:44-7:54 over the last 2 miles.  I've clinched a win this week and will again try some extra Mag in the evening.  Now that I'm down to 3 Thym-Adren, 625 will be perfect 1:1 ratio.  Can I tolerate 750 Mag, which is what I should take given my weight.
Grade:B+/2 credit/distance=12.0

8/3- UGLY!  I most definitely CANNOT tolerate 750 Mag and probably not 750 Cal either.
AM- 2 miles on Lakeshore in 18:26 (9:13 pace) that got slower with every step.

PM- Slightly better.  3 miles at Gold's in 23:29 (7:50 pace) that was fairly steady.  Odds are that I need to cut the Mag rather than increase it.  500 mg is likely enough to stave off deficiency but not nearly enough to reach the optimal level.
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=5.0

Weekly summary:
It's a winner overall and I have pulled to an even .500 on the year with 7 wins in the last 9 weeks.  I remain EXTREMELY ANGRY about the instability and sensitivity.  I will try again to cut out sugar and caffeine.  I've done it before so I know it can be done.
Distance= 41.0/ GPA= 28.7/9= 3.19
YTD: 1,034 miles.  Record: 15-15 with a 2.67 GPA
FYI: At this time last year, I did have 1,124 miles but was 12-18 with a 2.60.

No comments: