Monday, October 27, 2014

Training 10/27-11/2 (race week)

10/27- Woke up decidedly LESS sore than yesterday despite running half marathon distance at about 95% effort.  I don't mean to beat a dead horse but if I take the right pills, I can handle this training.  The big problem is that what is the right formula today may not be the right one tomorrow and I could still bomb in Indy.  Workout was 2x2.5 mile on Lakeshore with about a 3 minute rest.  Body still feels like it's in a state of flux on the 2nd full day off the liver pill.  I tried to slow down and even paused for a few seconds to reset my system.  I saw a 1st mile split in 6:39 and never really slowed down.  1st half in 16:43, 2nd half in 17:03 with an 85 (5:40 pace) second last quarter mile.  Overall pace was 6:45 the day after a quality long run.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=5.5
Need to order the ceruloplasmin test tonight.

10/28- Half mary predictor workout on Lakeshore. Took a Gu before I started.  Did 5 miles in 34:10 (6:50 pace) then stopped for another Gu.  Ran another 1.5 miles at the exact same pace then turned it up for a 6:31 after half the distance at 90:00 race pace.  Good job overall.  This felt pretty much like it should.  1st 3 were fairly easy then it started to heat up in Mile 4 but it still felt like a long tempo.  I was a little disappointed that I was not faster in the last mile.  I had hoped for a 6:15ish but I'll take a 6:31 (20 ticks faster).  Even if I have "A" stuff on race day, I just don't think I have the fitness to go sub-90.  A sub-7:00 pace (91:40 or better) would be a very good race.  I need more long runs to do it.
Grade:A-/2 credit/distance=8.0

Update: Did the copper and ceruloplasmin test today.  There is little doubt that my copper has gone up.  Is it bound copper or toxic copper?  If I had to guess, it's a little of both.  I'll probably know before race day but it'll be too close to make any adjustments.  I may have to wait until next month to see how effective glutathione is in detoxing the unbound copper.  I know taurine is a good copper detoxer but it is not as effective in combating the chemical sensitivity.  Next week, I'm going to try Boron and Vitamin A.

10/29-AM 1 Mile with NO pills just to see how I would feel.  As expected, I was strugg-a-ling but managed a negative split and a 7:23 finish.  Let's see that continue to drop and I'll know that I am getting closer to balance.  A bit of a sore throat this morning but it's no worse in the evening.  Let's hope I can fight off a possible cold.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=1.5

10/30- Planned rest day.  Leaving Birmingham after work and hope to make it past Nashville tonight.  Weather forecast looks BAD tomorrow afternoon but it's expected to clear by the morning.  It's expected to be cold and windy but sunny at race time.

Test results:
Total copper- 85 (+9)
Ceruloplasmin- 19.9 (+1.7) just a HAIR outside normal
Bound copper- 59.7 (+5.1)
Unbound copper- 25.3 (+3.9)
   I got about what I expected.  Copper and ceruloplasmin were up significantly (which is good) but only 57% of the added copper was bound.  Not so good.  More to come in a later post.  2 days out and looking at a bad weather race, I'm going to chance it and try Boron+A now.  If it's a disaster, it should clear in time.

10/31- Planned on a junk run but ended up resting.  Boron is NOT the answer but it is clearing out.

11/1- Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon in 1:34:30 (7:13 pace).  Average performance but it was my best time of the year and breaks a bad streak of 5 straight races slower than 1:35.  I'll take it.  Very sore groin but I am not injured. Passed 1500 miles on the year and clinched a 2.25 GPA.
Grade:B-/4 credit/distance= 14.0

11/2- AM.  1 mile junk run without taurine in 8:58.  OUCH!
  PM- 2 miles on Wisteria with taurine in 15:23 (7:42 pace).  Down side in 7:37.  Up side in 7:46.  Marked improvement.
Grade:Pass/0 credit/distance=3.0

Weekly summary:
Amid more upheaval, I am back to .500 on the year and I have won 3 in a row.  I have not won 4 straight since a 7 week stretch in Dec 2012-Jan 2013.  I am going off the glutathione and back on the taurine because I am off the liver glandular.
Distance= 32.0/ GPA= 24.9/8= 3.11
YTD: 1,506 miles.  Record: 21-21 with a 2.72 GPA.

No comments: