Monday, October 6, 2014

Training 10/6-10/12 (possible race)

10/6- AM.  Quickie.  2 miles in 13:54 (6:57 pace).  Feeling much better but still a little off.

PM- Felt much worse after the high copper protein bar.  Struggled with phone duty at work but got through it.  Took some taurine and Thym-Adren and improved enough to do a standard issue workout.  5 miles at Gold's in a time of 36:56 (7:23 pace) with identical 18:28 splits.  Popped a choline/inositol and ran another mile at the same effort in 7:19.  For a standard issue workout, this is acceptable, even better than average.  A tempo or interval workout would have been weak.  Maybe I'll be better tomorrow.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=8.0

Questions and answers:
Shocked that just 2 days on low dose copper would be such a disaster.  I will likely have to go back to the Thym-Adren temporarily because it's a higher Zinc/Copper ratio and avoid all other copper.  When the zinc intolerance flares up again, it's back to the ADHS and high copper protein.  How long will I be on the Thym-Adren?  Taurine appears to be working well as long as I avoid caffeine (I've gone 6 for 7 since the blood test) but too much of it seems to be causing a bit of hip pain.  That could be a detox reaction and it should be okay to reduce to dose.  Last question, if copper won't work, HOW CAN I RAISE CERULOPLASMIN?  Both Vitamin A and choline/inositol have not had much impact.  I'll probably finish the bottle and be done with it.

10/7- Went back on Thym-Adren and it was a disaster.  That tells me that the copper supps from the weekend have cleared and I can go back to ADHS, which is good news.  Thanks to Carrie, I found a new liver glandular, which shows some promise for raising my stubbornly low ceruloplasmin.  Liver drops failed me but that was prior to the taurine.
Workout:  Slogged through 1 mile in 7:54 then took a break and popped 3 ADHS pills.
Improved to a 22:50 (7:37 pace) for the next 3 miles for an overall  time of 30:44 (7:41) for 4.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=4.0

10/8- Back to all ADHS.  No improvement at all.  In fact, I was slightly worse.  3 miles at the Shak in 23:30 (7:50 pace).  1st mile in 7:32 then a steady 8 minute pace the rest of the way.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=3.0

10/9- Felt no better today at work.  Popped 2 of the new liver supps when I got home then hit the gym for a 3 mile tempo.  Presto!  I felt a difference almost immediately and managed a decent run.  Passed 3 miles in 19:09 then just cruised another lap in 45 to make it a full 5K in 19:54 (6:23 pace). Splits were 6:18-6:26-6:25-45.  No cause for celebration and I don't want to hear any "praise God" until I get a decent medical report.  I am still nearly 200 yards behind my recent 5K PR and should break 20 every stinking time! (at least when I am somewhat fresh). We'll see how I feel tomorrow but I am leaning towards racing on Saturday.  It's just a local 5K.  If it were an out of town event that I hadn't signed up for or even a local 10K, I'd bag it.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=3.5

10/10- An "interesting day."  Plan was to run 1 Mile just over 6 then cool down.  I ended up doing 2x800s in 2:54-2:51.  Very strong and measured effort.  I did stop at 800 because I felt a bit of a twinge in my ankle.  Probably no concern and likely due to the tight turns.  Slow jogged another half mile.  Felt MUCH worse later that morning and I am not sure of the cause.  It may have been the protein bar.  The liver supp is likely a good option but it may alter the zinc/copper formula and force me to switch back to the Thym-Adren.  Game time decision tomorrow.  I will warm up and see how I feel.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=1.5

10/11- AM.  No go.  Tightened up something awful after taking ADHS and nothing could negate the ill-effects.  THIS SUCKS!  I wasn't expecting a PR.  This was really just a fun run and a chance to see old friends but I was so bad that I could not enjoy it.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=0

Update:
No doubt that the liver glandular altered my chemistry. What to do about it:
1) Switch to Thym-Adren and the 20:1 zinc/copper ratio
2) Reduce the liver supplement.
3) Both #1 and #2 or even a combination of Thym-Adren + ADHS
  Will I figure it out?  Probably.  Will this be the end of it?  HIGHLY UNLIKELY.  As long as these imbalances persist, something else will pop up as sure as I'm alive.  Who can blame me for being bitter about all this?

PM- Good call on skipping the race.  2 miles in 17:20 (8:40 pace) with splits of 7:45-9:35.

Run #2- Wisteria 2 mile and my time was down to 15:28 (7:44 pace).  Down side in 7:36 then held up for a 7:52 on the up side.  Going with Thym-Adren tomorrow.
Grade:E/1 credit/distance=4.0

10/12- Much improved.  Lakeshore 5 in 35:45 (7:09 pace).  It wasn't as good as it looks on the surface.  Slowed considerably on the back half (17:31-18:14) and I was working at the end to hold a 7:20 pace.  Felt too loose.  A 5K race likely would have been okay but a 10K and up would have sucked.  I'm cutting the liver supp again down to 1 of those pills and will tweak the Thym-Adren + ADHS.  I will try to go long tomorrow on a day off work.  Added a Mile cool.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=6.0

Update:
Took just half an ADHS and tightened up.  The answer is option 1.  Although the taurine works well for the Cal/Mag sensitivity, it doesn't do much for the zinc/copper.

Weekly summary:
ANGRY!  It's now or never...  AGAIN.
Distance=30.0/ GPA= 20.7/9= 2.30
YTD: 1,388 miles.  Record: 18-21 with a 2.68 GPA.

No comments: