Sunday, February 22, 2015

Training 2/23-3/1 (race week)

Experimentation is done and I got a lot of answers last week.  I think it's clear that the Mag+Thym-Adren is not going to be enough.  I need un-methylated B vitamins.  I really don't care how I do in the race.  I just want to enjoy the trip as much as possible.  Only 3 to go after this and I can do it without another fly away.

Update:
I've read a few articles that have stated that exercise REDUCES methylation.  Since I am an over-methylator, it is a good thing that I run.  I've consistently maintained that my training has NOTHING to do with my ills.  If anything, it's beneficial to me.  Even if I have to retire from serious racing, I'll still do some recreation running.

2/23- AM-SUCKED again.  1 Mile in 7:58 and needed a sprint at the end to break 8.

New theory:  The detox (which was necessary) spilled copper into my tissues.  I could take an adrenal glandular for temporary relief but in the long run, it will take me further away from balance.

PM- Did not even try to run.  I did experiment with glutathione, Vitamin C and a trace of adrenal glandular.  Nothing worked.  I should be feeling better since I've been on Mag+Thym-Adren for nearly 2 months and I project my tissue Na level to be in the 70s now but I am worse. I have officially run out of options.  I've also learned from the Methyl group on Facebook that my adverse reactions to methyl donors may not be due to over-methylation but rather genetic mutations.  Speaking of which, I got the kit today and have submitted the sample.  This is my LAST LAST hope.  I'd retire now if I wasn't so close to finishing the Half 2 Run challenge and 10 state 10K.  Results should come in 4-6 weeks so I fully expect that my deadline of 3/21 will not be met.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=1.0

2/24- No experimentation today but was only slightly better than yesterday.  Finished 3 miles in 24:57 (8:19 pace) with splits of 7:50-8:20-8:47.  I am supposed to run 10.1 miles longer 4 days from now?  Okay.  One final theory has come up.  The Jigsaw Mag contains a small amount of methyl donors.  Could that be the source of the suckage?  If so, why was I able to tolerate it up until recently?  I'm switching to plain Mag malate.  It can't hurt.  In other news, I mailed the 23 and Me kit today and am hitting the road for Atlanta tonight in order to beat the weather.  I'll have to just chill at Nick's most of the day tomorrow.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=3.0

2/25- Abstinence from methyl worked in the morning as I managed a decent 5 miler on Atlanta Raod before the sleet hit.  Finished in 35:57 (7:11 pace) but did have to stop for traffic a couple times and got heckled once.  A guy in a Jeep said the f-word and a gay slur then drove off like a coward.  What do you get out of cussing at a stranger for no reason.  For the record, I was wearing black pants and a purple shirt.  Why would he do that?  Just a loser.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=5.0
Update: Turn for the worse in the evening after too much time off the methyl so I went with 2 Jigsaws tonight instead of my usual 4.

2/26- 2 Jigsaws were not the answer.  Struggled through a 3 miler also on Atlanta Road in 23:37 (7:52 pace).  I did manage a negative split but that was because of a tailwind and a slight downhill grade on the way back.  I'm taking 2 tonight in hopes that it will clear by race morning.  Flight to Phoenix went without a hitch.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=3.0

2/27- Awful this morning as expected.  Regardless of my performance tomorrow, I'm shutting down the training log next week.  Just too depressing when half my days are Ds and Fs and there's not much I can do about it until I get the genetic test results.

PM- Junk run in Mesa's Riverview.  Did not time it but estimate that I totaled 3 miles at a pace near 8:00.  Pointless to push it the day before a race.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=3.0

2/28- Timed the pills well and managed to finish in 1:43:15 officially.  Moving time was 1:42:12 (7:48 pace).  It was the best that I could do under the circumstances but 14 minutes slower than my PR on flat course.  Very poor performance.
Grade:D+/3 credit/distance=14.0

3/1- Planned rest day.  Body is very sore.  Only capable of a junk run at crap pace.

Weekly summary:
This will be the last week that I post daily training updates until further notice.  I will continue posting updates and race/trip reports.
Distance= 29.0   YTD: 258 miles.

No comments: