Sunday, August 26, 2018

Training in Every State?

Upon further review, I'm not sure I can count Minnesota for a half marathon.  Although I did cover the full distance, only 6.7 miles were done in a race setting.  The official distance was cut short due to heat and humidity.  I most definitely cannot count a 15K race plus a 3K warm and 3K cool but this one was originally scheduled as a 13.1 so it remains debatable.  If my body does hold up, I'll be back to Fergus Falls (outside of Fargo) and take a road trip to Winnipeg, Manitoba.  Hell, I may even do it just for a 5K or 10K so I have an excuse to go to Manitoba.  There is one other state in which I have done an organized race that was not a half marathon.  That was New Jersey and the race was a Steeplechase on the track.  Any other states that I have trained but not raced?  Yes.

Washington- Centennial Trail in Spokane just a few days before the Coeur D'Alene half.

Maine- Run on the State University track in Bangor on the way back from Nova Scotia.

Maryland- Many training runs in Salisbury as well as a few on Ocean City's boardwalk.  I've also run in the National Wildlife Refuge near Assateague Island.

Utah- 3 mile run through Zion National Park at over 8,000 foot elevation.  That one was beautiful but it hurt.

Alberta- 3 mile run through Prince Island Park in Calgary.  Stanley Park is a must run in Vancouver, BC.

Prince Edward Island- Junk run on the boardwalk at Victoria Park in Charlottetown.

That leaves only 9 states in which I have not trained or raced:
Hawaii, Nebraska, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Michigan, Iowa, South Dakota, Delaware

I'll list a few other memorable training runs away from home:
- Nice beach runs in Charleston, South Carolina and South Padre Island, Texas

Anchorage, Alaska- It was just a junk run from the hotel but it was done at midnight and in mid-June, it was still daylight.

Dallas, Texas- White Rock Lake with million dollar homes.

Denver, Colorado- Cherry Creek trail with views of the skyline plus City Park.  I also ran a half mile at the top of Pike's Peak and actually managed a semi-respectable pace at 14,000 feet but it did give me a bit of a headache. Edit: I almost forgot that I also did a 6 miler at the Garden of the Gods.

Louisville, Kentucky- Nice MLR along the Riverwalk

Little Rock, Arkansas- Another nice trail overlooking the river near the heart of town.

No comments: