Wednesday, August 29, 2018

So-Cal Road Trip Plan


Okay, this one is a repeat state and won’t be done until at least next summer or possibly not until 2-3 years down the road but when I do it, it will be EPIC so here it is.  I think I’d do this one before San Antonio/Corpus Christi/Acuna.  I was in Venice Beach 5 years ago and did drive along Santa Monica and Sunset Blvd but just didn’t have time to do it justice.  I didn’t even get a taste of San Diego at all, so I’ve got to go back.

Day 1- Fly into San Diego and get in by early afternoon.  I’ll have time to do at least a walking tour of downtown and/or Old Town.  There are several good race options throughout the year but the one I’d choose is America’s Finest City (AFC) in August because it will be warm enough to swim in the ocean without a wet suit.

Day 2- Race day.  Drive to Los Angeles mostly via Freeways but on a weekend day, the traffic should not be too bad.  I’ll pass through Compton but probably won’t leave the Freeway.  Two possible detours include the Nixon presidential library (I saw Reagan’s last time) and Kenneth Hahn Park, which offers an amazing view of the LA skyline with the San Gabriel Mountains in the background.  If I do stop at the latter option, I’ll probably take Wilshire into town rather than a Freeway.  I hope to get in before dark and my hotel will be in downtown LA.  The plan for the evening is a 73rd floor rooftop bar downtown.  I do have several friends and acquaintances in the LA area, so it would be cool to meet up with someone.

Day 3- Brief walking tour of downtown LA.  I definitely want to see the top of the US Bank tower in the daylight and go on the glass slide.  By the time I’m done, the worst of rush hour should be over, so I’ll take 101 up to Hollywood Blvd and the Walk of Fame.  I’d like to see Griffith Park and the Bowl on Mulholland but may not have the time.  From Hollywood, I’ll take the Sunset strip into Beverly Hills and see a few mansions before going down Rodeo.  I’ll probably take either Santa Monica Blvd or Wilshire to the coast.  I’d like to get there by sunset so I can view it over the Santa Monica pier.  There are some affordable hotels in the area on Lincoln Blvd.

Day 4- Early start then hit the Pacific Coast Hwy to San Diego.  La Jolla is a must see but I have several beach options.  La Jolla Shores and Ocean Beach are probably the most appealing. Sunset ought to be beautiful here as well.  I’ll stay a few blocks from the beach itself so I won’t break the bank.

Day 5- Morning and early afternoon on the beach in San Diego then I’ll head south to the border.  The plan is to get a hotel within walking distance of the border crossing.  I’ll just leave my car there then take the foot bridge into Tijuana.  I’ll stroll down Revolucion and probably have dinner with a drink or two then get back to the USA before it’s too late.

Day 6- Back to San Diego and I’ll take an evening red eye back home, so I’ll have plenty of time.  I’ll want to see the San Diego Zoo and/or more of downtown.  Can’t see everything that So-Cal has to offer but I’d say this is a good plan.

No comments: