Sunday, April 14, 2019

Training 4/15-4/21 (race week)

4/15- Planned rest day.  Perhaps a day of complete rest will allow the ankle to heal a little more.

PM- Could not pass up the chance to run in picture perfect weather conditions.  70 degree temps with low humidity and crystal clear skies.  We won't see many more like that until Fall.  Repeated the 3 mile distance this time on Montreat.  Time is down to 25:57 (8:39 pace).  MINUS 39.  I figure that's probably the equivalent of a sub-25:30 on Lakeshore or a track.  Splits were 8:55-8:38-8:24.  My pre-injury/post-detox time for this distance was probably in the low-mid 24s so I'm getting there.
Distance=3.0

4/16- AM- 1 lap at Montreat with no pills.  No Sarcosine either.  Hoped for a sub-8 pace and came up just short.  Finished in 2:42.5 (8:07 pace).  I already knew this but there is no way that I could have come anywhere near 7-pace even with the pills so I am within 60 seconds.  Whether or not I can hold a semi-respectable pace over several miles is another question.

PM- Full deck.  3 miles on Lakeshore in 24:40 (8:13 pace)  MINUS 26.  Added a warm and cool.  That's about on par with where I was before the ankle injury right after starting TRS.  Splits were 8:24-8:13-8:03 so the negative split trend continues.  Hopefully, I get back under the Mendoza line next time.  Race is in 4 days.
Distance=4.0

4/17-AM- Lakeshore 3 with NO treatments.  Simply hoped for a sub-27 but finished with a surprising 25:42 (8:34 pace)  PLUS 21.  Only 62 seconds slower over 3 miles WITHOUT ANY PILL!  Unthinkable just 1 month ago!   The PLUS 21 is actually a little CLOSER than I wanted to see because I want to feel a noticeable boost with the pills but NOT a radical difference.  I do figure that after a night of healing, I probably would have been close to 24-flat with the pills so the difference is really more like 30 per mile, which is just about EXACTLY what I want to see.

PM- Trak Shak 5 in 43:29 (8:42 pace).  I downshifted the effort considerably on this session.  I actually aimed for a 9-9:10 pace to get a feel for 2 hour half marathon pace.  It felt much TOO EASY.  Can I hold a pace of 9:09 of under for 8.1 additional miles.  Got a shot at it.  At the very least, I will be better than I was in Delaware.
Distance=8.0

4/18- Planned rest day.  All packed up and ready to roll after I get off work.  Hopefully, the bad weather holds off until night.  I hope to get to Kentucky or at least past Nashville.

4/19- Planned rest day.  Arrived in Iowa

4/20- Finished the Kewash half marathon.  Improved my Delaware time by more than 6 minutes,
Distance=13.5

4/21- 1.5 mile junk run on the 'mill at Trump hotel.
Distance=1.5

-30 miles on the week.  YTD-368

No comments: