Monday, April 1, 2019

Training 4/1-4/7

4/1- AM- Yesterday, my floor without Selenium was a 9:45 pace while the ceiling was a 6:57 pace.  Today, my floor was a less horrible 8:36 pace with a ceiling of 6:30.  The gap has decreased from 2:48 to 2:06 and the ceiling went higher.  That is exactly what I want to see.  Total distance was 1.5 this session.

PM- Lakeshore 2.5 on the bottom leg.  Finished in 20:30 (8:12 pace).  I was at 10:30 at the turnaround then rallied for a 10-flat on the back half for an even 8 pace.  The trend of negative splits is back.  In other news, the TRS has arrived.  I've seen miraculous testimonials about this stuff.  Unfortunately, the detox reactions can be brutal the first couple of days.
Distance=4.0

4/2- AM-Could not resist giving TRS a try.  In no big surprise, the body tightened up immediately after just 1 spray but I was noticeably better after urinating.  That's exactly what is supposed to happen.  The TRS binds with the toxins, which are then released in the urine.  As for the workout, it was brutally ugly even after peeing some of it out.

Opener with TRS but no pills- 4:20.7.  That's right FOUR TWENTY.  (13:02 pace)
With all pills except Selenium- 4:10 (12:30 pace) MINUS 32
Full dose of Selenium- 3:46 (11:18 pace).  MINUS 72.
Anything positive that I can take from this?  Yes.  The gap between the floor and the ceiling has diminished again.  From 2:06 down to 1:44.  As a percentage, the gap is even smaller.  It will be under 60 seconds by the end of the week if the current trends continue.  I wasn't sure if the Selenium would be effective on the TRS but yes, it still is.  Though both the DIM and the Selenium are effective, I don't think they will be enough to get ALL the toxins out.  TRS might.

I predict that once the initial shock reaction wears off, I will just as dependent on TRS as I was on the DIM and Selenium.  I'll be awful without the TRS and better with it.  I will require 5+ sprays but do no worse on more.  Eventually, the demand for it will diminish and it will be preventative maintenance.

PM- Expected to see some improvement after 9 hours but I didn't expect this much.
Opened with a 2:59.7 (8:59 pace)  MINUS 2:19 (MASSIVE!)  Decided to try another spray knowing that the next interval would not be anywhere near 3:00 but I didn't know if it would be better or worse.  Finished the next one in 2:30.0 (7:30 pace).  MINUS 89.  Added a 1 lap cool.  Tomorrow, I am going aggressive with the full 5 sprays.  Total gap between the first and last interval on the day was a MIND BOGGLING 5:32!  I repeat FIVE THIRTY TWO!!!
Distance=2.0

4/3- AM-Opener with no treatments- 3:34 (10:42 pace).  About as expected.  Pretty awful but not nearly as bad as yesterday morning.  Went aggressive with 5 sprays of TRS and in what is not a surprise, it was too much.  Nevertheless, I did improve to a 2:56 (8:48 pace).  On the last interval, I took all my usual pills and managed to nip yesterday's best with a 2:28 (7:24 pace).  After the workout, I confirmed that I was too aggressive with the TRS as I was noticeably worse after another 2 sprays.

Analysis:
The TRS gap is a MASSIVE 1:54 and it is actually even higher than that.  I would have done better on 3-4 sprays than 5 today.  Still, I'm sticking with 5.  The more aggressive I am, the faster the toxins are expelled.  I predict that soon, 5 sprays will work best and I won't be hurt by taking extra.   The pills gap has been reduced to 84 seconds so I'm in the double digits now.  When that drops below 60, I can reduce the Selenium.  The overall gap is at least 3:18.

PM- Trak Shak 3 in 28:39 (9:33 pace).  Brutal detox symptoms.  Did manage a slight negative split.
Distance=4.0

4/4-AM- Opener with no treatment- 2:50.6 (8:31 pace).
All treatments including TRS (5 sprays)- 2:20.1 (7:00 pace)  MINUS 91
Extra TRS- 2:18.8 (6:56 pace) MINUS 4
Reaction:
Very pleased overall.  The floor has really shot up.  Much faster than I anticipated but I would like to see more improvement in the ceiling.  If I can't go much below 7:00 pace for a third of a mile, I won't be much below 8:00 in a full mile.  Still, I believe that I am not far away from being able to run 6.5 @ sub-9 without treatment.  If I can do that, I should get a sub-2 in Iowa.  The gap has been reduced to double digits and I believe it will be under 60 by the end of the week.

PM- Montreat 3 in 25:27 (8:29 pace). Much improved from yesterday.   Splits were 8:35-8:34-8:18.  At least for the short term, I may be in a pattern with a higher floor but a lower ceiling.  It's a trade that I am willing to make.  This was still a struggle every step of the way and never did feel good by any stretch.  I've committed to the detox and must see it through.  2 weeks until I leave on my trip.  There will be no further adjustments to the formula.
Distance=4.0

4/5- Planned rest day.  I deserve one.  Saturday's weather looks rough.  May try to run long on Sunday.

4/6- AM- Weather is good after all but no long run today.  Maybe tomorrow.  More intervals.
Opener- 2:30.0 (7:30 pace)
Full deck- 2:11.8 (6:35 pace)
Untimed cool down lap
The gap is down to 55 seconds and though I did feel a difference with the treatment, it was not like night vs day.  I predict that the gap will continue to diminish but settle somewhere between 15-30.  That's what I want to see.  I want to know that the pills are working but be able to get by without them if need be.  Again and Again I say, a single dose should NEVER cause such strong reactions whether they are positive or negative unless something else is in play.  While the floor rose by 61 seconds, the ceiling only came up by 21 and a 6:35 pace for a third of a mile is a pretty weak effort.  Still, as I've said many times, stability at the expense of speed is a price that I am willing to pay.

PM- Lakeshore 5 in 42:15 (8:27 pace).  Marginally faster than last time but it was 2 miles longer.  1st half- 21:17, 2nd half- 20:58. Negative splits continue but with smaller margins.  If I can hold this pace for another 8.1 miles, I'll come in just under 1:51.  I was 41 seconds per mile under a 2 hour pace.  With 2 weeks to go, barring a relapse, I like my chances.  Again and again I say, I don't want to see big improvements from one day to the next.  If the treatment is working, you should not feel much different from one day to the next but improvement becomes evident over several weeks.
Distance=6.0

4/7- FAILED again.  4 miles in 40:45 (10:11 pace).  Struggled out of the gate and completely collapsed after 2 miles.  1st half- 18:45, 2nd half- 22:00.  I forgot to take the Sarcosine and yes, I did notice an improvement after I did take it.  Not a surprise but it was disappointing.  I might do okay in a sprint without a key pill but the longer the distance, the uglier it gets.  Perhaps extra pills could have saved me in Delaware.

PM- 1 mile at Montreat.  Time was acceptable at 7:26 but the bad news came at the finish line.  I tripped over a pine cone and sprained my ankle.  How bad?  Fortunately, I expect to be able to run in Iowa.  It's a little sore and swollen but it's not bruised so it's likely a Grade 1.  THIS SUCKS!  It's often been my history that every time I am on the verge of a breakthrough, I get a freak injury or illness.
Distance=5.0

-25 miles on the week.  YTD- 328

No comments: