Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Training 4/22-4/28

4/22- Elective rest day.  It would have been nice to do a junk run around the Arch in St. Louis but I opted for extra sleep, which was probably a good call.

4/23- 2 mile junk run at Montreat.  Body is very tired from the travel so I didn't expect much.  No watch.  Hopefully, back to the routine by tomorrow.
Distance=2.0

4/24- Trak Shak 3.5 mile route.  Finished in 27:42 (7:55 pace) with a strong closing kick.  Last half mile was 7:15 pace.  Below the Mendoza line today but had to stop for traffic a bit more often so it carries an asterisk.  Added a half mile cool.  I expect to plateau from here.  I won't see dramatic improvements from day to day or even week to week but month to month?  I think so.
Distance=4.0

4/25- AM.  Montreat Mile in 7:13.  13 seconds faster than when I sprained my ankle 18 days ago.  That's basically healed now.  Next goal is to get under 7 minutes.

PM- Easy 5 at Gold's on a rainy night.  Finished in 42:51 (8:34 pace).  Even pace for the first 4 then a mild pick up in the last mile.  This is 1:52 half marathon pace.  Felt quite comfortable but as I learned the hard way in Iowa, 13 miles is TOTALLY different than 5.
Distance=6.0

4/26- Canterbury 3.5 miler in 30:40 (8:46 pace) plus a cool down.  Slower pace but a hilly route and easier effort.  No real complaints.
Distance=4.0

4/27- ANGRY AGAIN!  Another failed long run.  Came through the first mile in 9:30-something and was getting slower with every step.  Turned around and called it a day.  The culprit was Maca.  That's right.  The same stuff that was absolutely necessary just 2 months ago is now no longer tolerated!  If you've read this blog for a while, you know that's nothing new for me but I REALLY THOUGHT THE DETOX WOULD TAKE CARE OF THAT FROM NOW ON!!!

Any idea why?  The detox can cause increased adrenal activity and Maca will further stimulate the adrenals.  I did feel somewhat better after taking extra adrenal modulators so that makes me feel a little better about this.  Still, the fact that it came on so suddenly is extremely maddening.  I never saw it coming and there was no way I could have predicted this.  I got SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE AFTER JUST ONE ADDITIONAL PILL TOO!!!  Getting nicked a little bit is understandable but a healthy person should NEVER get this type of reaction from ONE FREAKING PILL!!  How many times have I posted that?  On the bright side, at least this didn't happen last weekend or else it would have been a DNF in Iowa and I'm not sure I would have gone back down the road.
Distance=2.0

4/28- AM-With the excess Maca still in my system, it was junk intervals at Montreat.
Opened with a 3:35 (10:45 pace)
With Dim (which contains a small amount of Maca)- 3:43 (11:09 pace)  PLUS 24
I got nicked a little bit but nothing severe.  I'll hold on to the DIM in case I need it again but I will stop taking it.
Waited about an hour and was down to 3:19 (9:57 pace), which I attribute to clearance after a trip to the toilet.  Took just a trace of stand alone Maca and was significantly worse.  Slipped all the way to a 3:38 (10:54 pace).  PLUS 57.  Maca will be tossed.  I'll finish the bottle of Selenium but will not re-order.  Something tells me that I may have trouble with that stuff down the road. TRS will take care of the Arsenic toxicity so Selenium should no longer be needed.  At least I am saving money and cabinet space by tossing some pills. 

PM- Full Mile at Montreat.  Time is down to 8:38 with splits of 3:01-2:52-2:45.  Much better and should be back to the new normal by tomorrow.
Distance=2.0

-20 miles on the week.
-YTD- 388







No comments: