Monday, March 9, 2020

Training 3/9-3/15

3/9- Easy 3 on the Vulcan trail.  New route.  Finished in 24:48 (8:16 pace).  I am not collapsing but this was NOT pretty at all.  I'm getting concerned that my daily workouts have not been improving.  Nice views of downtown Birmingham but the slope of the route was deceptive.  I didn't notice the downhill on the first half but I sure felt the uphill on the back half.  Still, I held the pace pretty well.  1st half was 8:09 pace and held on for an 8:23 going uphill.  I've ordered Stress Pak and BHMT.  The latter is more likely to trigger a reaction.
Distance=3.0

3/10- Disappointment.  Planned on 3.5 at the Trak Shak plus a cool.  Came through Mile 1 in 8:20 (largely uphill).  Figure I was headed for roughly the same pace as yesterday give or take a couple seconds.  I had to quit due to GI issues and no portajohn nearby.  I panicked thinking that there had to be a missing piece.  That may be true but it didn't work as I expected.  L-Dopa seemed to be HELPFUL.  I feared a possible negative reaction to that stuff.  The response to Co-Q 10 however was DECIDEDLY NEGATIVE! I expected that to be a non-factor and I'm not sure what to make of that.  Too much NDUF support with NADH?  One or the other?  OR  The Co-Q 10 will become necessary and I will go through the usual adjustment period.  Added a junk mile later but it was ugly.  I'll find out tomorrow but in retrospect, a low dopamine level is not a surprise.  I'll try serotonin support.  I have ruled out low adrenaline.  Will this ever end?
Distance=2.0

3/11- Encouraging.  6x1/2 laps at Montreat.
Opener- 94 (9:24 pace)
TRS- 92 (9:12 pace).
I thought the TRS was causing a detox reaction.  Not so.  I was marginally better.
L-Dopa- 83- (8:18 pace)
Significant Gain
Co-Q10- 73- (7:18 pace)
Significant Gain.  CoQ-10 is tolerated on its own
NADH- 64- (6:24 pace).
CoQ-10 is tolerated with NADH.  Significant gain.
2nd Co-Q10- 71- (7:06 pace)
Significant LOSS.  Noticeably weaker but it was not a killer.
Being unable to sustain a 7:00 pace for less than 1 track lap does not bode well for a real workout so that's it for today.  I'll start fresh tomorrow.
Distance=1.0

3/12- Not good.  1 Mile in 9:32.  I wasn't expected a good run or even a sub-Mendoza line effort but wasn't expecting this either.  Came through 1/2 mile in 4:45, popped a Vitamin C and fared no better.  In fact, I was marginally worse with a 4:47 on the back half.  I figured that I needed more CoQ10 and I was correct.  2 of those pills were too much yesterday but today, it WAS NOT ENOUGH!!  You never know what will happen in the week of an adjustment.  C is a non-factor but it could be useful for my immune system.

PM- Intervals on South Lakeshore.  Not sure of the exact distance but figure it was roughly a quarter mile, maybe a hair longer.
Opener- 2:18 (1 pill in the morning)
1 CoQ10- 2:02
2 CoQ10- 1:51
4 CoQ10- 1:38
Once again, I know the drill.  The gaps in performance will decrease and I will become much less dependent on CoQ10.  Within a week or two, I will be able to get by for a couple days without it.
As expected, Stress Pak is a non-factor.  It appears that the BHMT drops are also a non-factor.  Not a surprise.    This SHOULD be the final answer.
Distance=2.0
UPDATE- The race in Salisbury, Maryland has been canceled due to the Coronavirus.  There is no refund but they are allowing a free deferral for next year.  The 50 state quest will NOT be completed this year.  Nothing I can do about it.  The big trip in the Fall might be Cape Town, South Africa instead of Hawaii.

3/13- AM- An opener and closer at Montreat to test the BHMT plus a cool.
Opened with a stacked deck that included 3 CoQ10 pills and clocked a 2:23 (7:09 pace).  With the BHMT, I felt no different but the watch showed marginal improvement to a 2:20 (7:00 pace).  Most likely, it's a non-factor.  I'll probably finish the bottle and be done with it.  Added a lap cool

PM- Decided that's it for today.  Felt a STRONG need for more CoQ10 and it did help but would not have been enough for a quality workout.  I'll need mega doses for a few more days but the need will eventually diminish.
Distance=1.0

3/14- Split decision.  Opener in 1:55, which is a lot better than previous runs.  Closer in 84 seconds (5:36 pace).  Gap of 2:04 is significant but it is encouraging.  As the gap closes, the ceiling will still rise.  I believe I can go under 75 for the 400 and if I can do that, I figure a sub-6 Mile is attainable. 
BUT
When I tried to do a standard issue workout, I had NOTHING.  Even after a full recovery from the intervals.  Quit after a first mile in 8:51 and it would have been worse if not for a late rally.
Enjoyed a day in Selma with Matthew.
Distance=2.0

3/15- Not surprisingly, I felt awful without the CoQ10 and 400 mg wasn't enough.  After 800, I was noticeably better.  Mile in 7:33 with an even pace.  Took another 400 and improved to 7:10.  Much better than yesterday.  The need will eventually diminish and I'll stick with 800 for the time being.  I believe I can now do a decent standard issue workout.
Distance=2.0

-13 miles on the week.  Not good.



No comments: