Monday, February 6, 2023

Training 2/6-2/12

 2/6- AM- 1 mile at Montreat on no adrenal support in a time of 10:23.  A lot better than last week's attempt but this is still BAAAAUHHD!  Figure that this is more than 2 minutes slower than my usual time.  This gap must shrink.

PM- Canterbury 3.5 mile loop.  It's been a while since I've done this route.  It's a tough one.  Finished in 34:12 (9:46 pace).  For an easy day on a hilly route, an overall pace in the high-9s is acceptable albeit below average.  I was NOT pleased that I faded so badly on the back half.  I opened with a solid 8:54 first mile but never recovered from the hills early in Mile 2.  It was downhill from there in more ways than one.  Despite the declines, my pace was over 10 in the last 2 miles.  Got much worse after I got home.  It appears that this happened because I ran out of Magnesium.  I should be okay.  The order did arrive today.

Distance=4.5

2/7- Back on track this evening.  It was indeed the lack of Magnesium.  I'm okay with that.  Although I should take it every day, nothing will happen if I miss a day or two.  I can get by for a long weekend without it but any longer than 5-7 days and I'm in trouble.  The same holds true for all my other pills except for Thym-Adren.  That is the only one that I must take every day.  I HOPE that need will diminish when my gut health improves.

Workout was 3 miles out and back on South Lakeshore in a time of 26:38 (8:53 pace).  Solid performance.  Only complaint was that I faded a bit on the back half (13:08-13:30) but part of that was due to a way too fast start.  I wisely backed off after a first quarter mile in just over 2:00.  I was working at the end but I was not flat out.

Distance=3.0

2/8- Easy 2 on Lakeshore in 17:55 (8:58 pace).  Opposite of yesterday.  Slow start but once I got in the groove, I was rolling.  Splits were 9:01-8:54 and I did NOT kick at the end.  I was working a bit and was a little winded but had plenty more in the tank.  Just 1 more workout before the 10K this weekend.  Rain is in the forecast tomorrow so we'll see

Distance=2.0

2/9- Easy 2 again this time at Veteran's Park.  Finished in 17:38 (8:49 pace).  Solid performance overall.  Surprisingly, I was faster than I was on Lakeshore despite the slow gravel trail.  Started too fast with a 2:03 opening quarter mile then wisely backed it down.  After that, I was fairly even.  I had plenty left at the end but it took a sprint in the last 100 to get the last mile under 9 minutes.  This is my 5th consecutive day running and I'm not showing any signs of a breakdown.

Distance=2.0

2/10- Planned rest day.  Weather looks iffy tomorrow but I should beat the rain if I start early enough.

2/11- FAILURE!  I fully expected to break 60 for 10K and was hoping for a 58.  I knew that I was in trouble immediately when I found it hard to hold 60 minute pace on the first lap.  The first few laps should have been a breeze given my recent workouts.  I passed 2 laps in 4:50 and it got worse from there.  Coaxed 2 miles but got slower with every step.  

Distance=2.0

The culprit was Candida.  Last week, I could not handle too many Probiotics or Glutamine and actually got BETTER after drinking Red Bull.  I stuck with the low Probiotics and didn't worry about the sugar.  The pattern reversed itself today.  I need those Probiotics but am unsure about the Glutamine.  There MUST be a balance zone that allows me to kill off the Candida WITHOUT the adrenal spikes and die off reactions.

Update: One glutamine pill might be okay.  NOT more than one!  I must increase the Probiotics.  How much?  That remains to be seen

2/12- Scheduled rest day but I did train to make up the shortfall from yesterday.  3 miles in 33:54 (11:18 pace). Added a cool at basically walking pace.   Ugly as expected as I'm still clearing out the excess Glutamine.  I would have been a bit better if I had waited until the afternoon.  I never felt uncomfortable but could not pick up any speed.  Splits were pretty even.  

Distance= 3.5

Weekly summary:

I have mixed feelings.  This was shaping up to be a winner until the weekend disaster.  I can run a 5K in the 27s on a good day but am over 35 on bad day.  That is NOT acceptable.  A 1-2 day blip once a month?  I can live with that but NOT every week or even every other week!  The plan for the Candida is at least 3 Probiotics, limited sugar plus Apple Cider Vinegar and possibly 1 Glutamine.  I thought about running the 5K at Mercedes this weekend.  Good call on the no-go decision.  On the plus side, I did hit a new weekly high in mileage for the year.  I'll shoot for 20 next week.

Distance= 17.0- YTD= 69


No comments: