Sunday, February 26, 2023

Road Trips 2: Mid Atlantic

 New York- 

I was told that we went to Niagara Falls in the mid 80s but I only vaguely remember it.  My first clear trip here came in 1989 to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and we also stopped at Lake Placid.  We returned in 1994 and 1998 for Junior Olympic races in Buffalo but never really toured the city.  We did catch glimpses of the Falls from the road.   In 2005, the New England road trip that ended in Kennebunkport began in Albany, New York and also included Cooperstown.

It was not until 2017 that I came here on my own and it was my first visit to NYC.  I turned in a respectable performance in the race.  It turned out that I couldn't get enough.  I stopped back for just a night in 2018 and spent just a few hours in Manhattan the next year for the race in Jersey City.  My last trip came in 2021.  I came up from New Jersey and drove over the Staten Island bridge and the NYC marathon start.  I had a surf session at Rockaway Beach in Queens and spent the night in Brooklyn.  I could definitely see myself going back to NYC and would like to see Niagara Falls on my own terms.

New Jersey-

 I have in-laws who used to live in the Trenton area so I've been there several times.  I was told that we went to Wildwood in the early 80s but I don't remember it.  My first memorable trip here came in 1995 for a Junior Olympic race in 103 degrees.  I ran the Steeplechase for the first time.  It was not until 2019 that I returned here on my own terms.  The race was the Newport Liberty half in Jersey City.  I returned in 2021 for a beach hopping trip starting in Wildwood that included stops at Sandy Hook and Surf City on Long Beach Island.

Pennsylvania-

I've been to Pittsburgh many times.  Highlights include an attractive skyline, a couple of nice amusement parks in Kennywood and Sand Castle plus my favorite baseball stadium in PNC Park.  Too bad the team sucks.  I did very poorly in my half marathon here in 2015 and would like to have the opportunity to redeem myself.  I've been to a few of the smaller cities such as DuBois, Altoona and Erie.

I believe that we went to Philadelphia in 1993 as a family but I visited on my own terms in 2019 prior to the race in Delaware.  I returned twice in 2021.  First was the start of the Delmarva road trip then the start/end of the Jersey Shore road trip.  I saw the Rocky statue, the Liberty Bell, a Ben Franklin museum and finally Independence Hall.

Delaware-

I took several side trips across the border from Ocean City, Maryland to Bethany Beach for a less crowded surf session back in 1999-2000.  I did return to Wilmington in 2019 for the Caesar Rodney half.  My last visit was in 2021 on the DelMarVa road trip that included a stop in Dover for the night and a visit to the Capitol grounds.

Maryland-

My sister used to live in Salisbury and I actually spent a summer there myself back in 2000.  I landed a job at K-Mart and took many trips to Ocean City and Assateague Island.  We also visited Baltimore a couple times as a family.  Camden Yards is a great baseball stadium.  We also saw the Inner Harbor and a museum dedicated to Francis Scott Key and the Star Spangled Banner.  

Ironically, Maryland would be the last state that I would visit on my own terms.  That would happen on the DelMarVa road trip in 2021 and the race in Salisbury would be state #47.  Again, I stopped in Ocean City and took a walk on the boardwalk.  

  

No comments: