Sunday, July 25, 2021

Cities to Live

This ought to be an interesting post.  A few years ago, my parents and I played a game in which you were given a choice to live in 1 of 2 cities and none of the above was not an option.   You had to pick one.  I have visited almost all of the cities listed here and will choose 1 of 5 from 7 different regions.  I may post a follow up with the least desirable option if I get a lot of views here.  The question here is where would I most like to LIVE not just visit.     

For the record, I intend to stay in Birmingham at least until retirement age and prefer mid-sized cities so none of these would be a particularly good fit.  If I do move, it will be to either south Alabama or northeast Florida.  Whether or not I have friends or family in a city is NOT to be a factor in my choice. Some of these cities are notorious for having bad neighborhoods but there are also some really nice areas. 

Here are some of the pros that I am looking for:

A sunny climate.  I also prefer not too much rain.  I like 4 distinct seasons and the occasional snowfall but NOT long cold snaps.  I'd like to see a vibrant downtown with shopping, restaurants and an entertainment district.  I don't follow sports as closely nowadays but would still like a couple of pro sports teams.  I'd like a close proximity to the beach, mountains and nature trails as well as other major cities.  That may be most important.  Also, some interesting historical museums would be nice though that is less important when the question is where to live rather than visit.  

As for the cons:

Pretty much the reverse.  I don't like cloudy and damp climates even if the overall rainfall is relatively low.  The cost of living will be considered as well as traffic congestion.  Also, far-left politics is a big turn off.  Every city listed here will lean Left but some are worse than others.      

Region 1: 

Washington DC

Baltimore

Philadelphia

New York

Boston

 I choose Philadelphia.  It's centrally located along the northeast megalopolis with easy access to DC as well as New York and even Boston.  Each city in this region has a rich history but Philly ranks a close second in historical sites.  There is easy access to the Jersey Shore and the Delmarva peninsula and ski resorts in the Poconos.  Traffic and the cost of living are a little rough but not nearly as bad as New York or DC.

Region 2:

Kansas City

St. Louis

Chicago

Minneapolis

Milwaukee

I'll go with Kansas City here.  There may not be as much to do as in Chicago and it's a long way from the beach, mountains or other major cities but it does have a nice downtown with good BBQ restaurants and fun bars.  Winters will still be a little rough but not nearly as bad as some of the other options.  Lastly, it's not nearly as left-wing so I'd be a much better fit culturally here.  

 Region 3:

Detroit

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

Indianapolis

 This one is close between Cincy and Pittsburgh.  Cincy has an edge on climate.  It's also bordering on Kentucky and a bit more conservative.  I wouldn't say it's Southern but it's Kentucky suburbs are.  Still, if it's the city and not it's surrounding suburbs that is the question, I'm going with Pittsburgh.  There are so many attractions that are do-able on a weekend trip including the Jersey Shore and Delmarva, major cities, ski resorts and nature in nearby West Virginia.  

Region 4:

Seattle

Portland

San Francisco

Los Angeles

San Diego

 I've not been to San Diego yet but this is my choice all the way and it's not all that close.  Perfect climate on the Pacific coast with access to ski resorts as well.  Nicer parts of Los Angeles would be an easy 2nd choice but San Diego has the edge of traffic, costs and culture.   

 Region 5:

Phoenix

Salt Lake City

Denver

El Paso

Las Vegas

 This one is interesting.  Phoenix and Vegas are just too hot and so is El Paso although all 3 have some really nice scenery nearby.  It comes down to Denver or Salt Lake City.  If it was 10 years ago, I'd probably go with Denver but that city has taken a turn for the worse after the marijuana legalization.  I'm going with Salt Lake City  Not as much to do but awfully beautiful scenery and ski resorts that some say are comparable to Colorado.  

Region 6:

Houston

Dallas

Nashville 

Atlanta

New Orleans

Charlotte

Charlotte is my choice.  If I could live in Fort Worth, I might consider Dallas but no, I'd still likely stick with Charlotte.  I wish I could go back to the 1980s-90s when it was still more of a mid-sized city. Close enough to the beach and mountains for a weekend trip.  Probably has the edge in cost of living and traffic control as well.  Good weather without extreme heat and humidity of the Gulf Coast.  Nashville is a close second.  It too has grown too big and would have been a lot nicer in the 80s or 90s 

Region 7: 

Miami

Tampa

Orlando

Pensacola

Jacksonville

This one comes down to Jacksonville or Pensacola.  Both are still somewhat Southern.  I'll go with Jacksonville.  The Atlantic beaches are not quite as beautiful as the Gulf but the surf is more likely to be up on the Atlantic side.  Jax is also a bit drier and less vulnerable to hurricanes.  It doesn't have the tropical vibe found in Miami or even Tampa but it does have more distinct seasons.  

No comments: