Saturday, July 17, 2021

Maine Trip Plan

 I am now 6 weeks out from race day.  While in theory, I have a path to balance, it never works out in practice.  I am NOT optimistic about a respectable showing.  I am DREADING this race right now but I only have one more left after this one.  Come hell or high water, I am going to finish the challenge to complete a half marathon in all 50 states.  The last one will be Hawaii hopefully in January of 2022 and by that point, I don't care if I have to walk every step.  I just need to get somewhat lucky just one more time and finish within the allowed time (probably 3 hours).  Hawaii has a 5 hour limit so I can definitely walk that one if need be.  While the race will almost certainly be bad, the rest of the trip looks good.

8/25- Leave for Atlanta after work and spend the night there.  

8/26- Direct flight to Boston.  I think this is my best bet.  There are several daily flights from ATL to BOS and the prices are cheap as well.  There is just one direct flight from Atlanta to Portland, Maine and I would have to backtrack to get to my first destination.  B'ham to either Boston or Portland would require a layover and the chance of a missed connection.  No Thanks.  It will be an AM flight but not super early.

From Boston, it is only slightly more than 1 hour to the New Hampshire coast.  It should not be too crowded on a weekday but I know to beware of the traffic and parking on the weekends in August.  Last I checked as of mid-July, the water temperature there is up to 66 degrees F and has yet to peak.  In late August, I figure that temp will hold and it may even crack 70.  As long as the air temp is also above 70, it should be tolerable even without a wetsuit.  My minimum standard is 1 hour in the surf and just one wave on the board.  Which beach?  I have a few choices for the 14 miles on coastline.  Hampton, Rye or Jeness are all viable options.  

I'll take a break for lunch and the best food will almost certainly be in Hampton.  From there, it will be up the coast to Maine.  I have 3 options there as well.  Wells Beach, Long Sands and Old Orchard.  I've read that the latter is "reminiscent of the Jersey Shore" but I can expect better surf at Wells or Long Sands.  Water temperature in Maine in late August?  Maybe 1-2 degrees colder than New Hampshire but it should not be noticeable.  If the weather outside is halfway decent, I expect to enjoy those beaches.  Unfortunately, there is a risk of a cloudy day in the 60s or worse, a rainy day.  If at all possible, I'll put on the wetsuit and stick it out for 1 hour to meet the standard.  Average high temps are about 73-75 degrees.  After this, a bucket list item will be completed.  I will have caught a wave in every state on the Atlantic coast.  

8/27- I will spend the previous night on the town in Portland, Maine.  From there, my plans are somewhat flexible.  If it rains all day on the 26th then clears out today, I can backtrack down to New Hampshire's coast.  It's only 1 hour away.  I could also head up to the White Mountains in New Hampshire (nearly 3 hours) and see Mt. Washington.  However, my preference would be to go directly to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.  That's slightly less than 3 hours from Portland via I-95 but US-1 is much more scenic.  Mt. Washington and Bar Harbor?  It can be done but I won't get in until late and would have no time that evening.  Hopefully, I'll be in Bar Harbor that night but if need be, I can save a few bucks by staying in Ellsworth a few miles inland.  

8/28- Full day in Acadia on Park Loop Road and that rocky coastal scenery looks awesome.  Must sees are Cadillac Mountain, Thunder Hole and Sand Beach with several other beautiful hiking trails.  Iffy weather is another good reason to go directly here from Portland.  If one day is bad, I can still salvage part of the previous day.  Bar Harbor is slightly more than 2 hours north of the race site in the small town of St. George and I'll want to get there before dark.  Fortunately, I can pick up my bib race morning but the nearest hotels are a full 20 miles away.  

8/29- Race day and I just hope it's not too terrible.  From there, my preference would be to go to Mt. Washington but if the earlier beach plans didn't work out, I have another chance.  6,500 feet elevation in northern New England even in late summer can have some nasty weather and clear days with beautiful mountains views are rare but this is the best time of the year for it.  I still hope to give it a try but if I can only do this or the beach, I choose the beach.  At any rate, I'll take the Interstate back towards Boston for a flight the next morning back to Atlanta.  I toured Boston twice in recent years and liked it but have no plans to do so again.

No comments: