Monday, July 12, 2021

Methyl B-12 and Intrinsic Factor

 

The first new pill that I tried was Methyl B-12 after bad reactions to Curcumin and even a food-based veggie supplement called Texas Superfood.  NOBODY should react badly to a product like that.  I immediately felt better after taking 1000 mcg of Methyl B-12.  Given that it cleared up much of the bad reaction to TX Superfood, I was nearly certain that it was now tolerated but I also wanted to test out the Curcumin and CoQ10.  That would have to wait until after I got back from Wildwood.    There was no shock reaction later, but I was slightly weakened after 2000 mcg.  For the record, this pill comes in a dosage up to 5000 mcg, so I did not OD. 

About 36 hours later, I went out for a morning run on the boardwalk.  It was a struggle.  I was fighting to hold a low-9 pace but I did last 3 miles in 27:54 (9:18 pace).  I was fading at the end and the pace would have fallen off a cliff if I had to keep going.  By the evening, I was noticeably WORSE and the culprit was an adrenal spike.  I did feel better after popping some additional Thym-Adren.  The next morning, I managed only a 5:38 first half mile without the pills (11:16 pace) and even a full dose brought me no lower than a 4:50 on the back half (9:40 pace).  At least that was a significant difference.  I had to be a little more cautious in the surf because I know that I am more vulnerable to ligament sprains on a wipeout if my body is too far out of whack.  Fortunately, I made it through unscathed. 

On my first full day back in the Ham, the adrenal spike was beginning to die down.  I managed a 90 split for a 1/6 mile at Montreat on no pills (9:00 pace) then improved to an 81 on Methyl B-12 (8:06 pace) then a 73 on Adenosyl (7:18 pace) and this was still done without Thym-Adren.  This interval session answered a key question.  Methyl plus Adenosyl B-12 together will work better than either of them alone. 

I took 4 Thym-Adren pills at work and was back in action that evening.  My time was down to 60 on the same half loop.  Next, I took both the CoQ10 and Curcumin hoping that it would be tolerated.  I got exactly what I wanted with an insignificant improvement down to 58 seconds.  Both are tolerated and I’m sure that TX Superfood is as well even though I finished that bottle and will not re-order.  I’ll do the same with these 2 products.  Neither is essential to the plan and I doubt that I will see more than a marginal improvement.  Still, the fact that I can tolerate them now when I could not before is definitely a good sign. 

The moment of truth came on the last interval.  This pill contains an ingredient called Intrinsic Factor, which is a stomach protein necessary for absorption of B-12 and possibly other stuff as well.  I suspect that a deficiency here played a role in my sensitivity for many years.  I felt noticeably better immediately, and it showed as a clocked a 52 second split (5:12 pace) and with additional Thym-Adren, I may have seen a sub-50.  Unfortunately, the good feeling did not last as a HARD adrenal spike kicked in just a few hours later.  That was not a surprise after solving a long-standing problem.  Once again, in THEORY, I’ve got this squared away.  If I fail again, I will try Fulvic Acid before seeing a “real doctor.”

No comments: