Monday, July 19, 2021

Training 7/19-7/25

 7/19- Only a half mile at Montreat in the rain in 4:32.  It was 3x1/2 laps but there are signs of improvement.  I opened with a 1:32 then only fell to 1:40 on 5,000 mcg of B-12.  That's a PLUS 48 so that's not a night and day difference.  This time, low dose Thym-Adren DID do something.  Yesterday, I needed mega doses just to make a dent in the adrenal spike.  This time, just 2 pills brought me down to 1:20.  

PM- I was interested to see how I would do on low doses over the longer distance but it was rained out.  Flash floods in the area.  While the Northwest is getting record heat, Alabama can't get out of the 70s.  No sun and occasional rain every day.

Distance=0.5

7/20- AM- 2 miles on North Lakeshore in 21:16 (10:38 pace).  I'm actually pleased with this one because it was done on just 2 Thym-Adren pills.  Just 2 days ago, 6 pills were completely ineffective and I needed 8+.  This pace was faster by 1:48 per mile.  I'm sure that if I took more, I'd be better but I don't think 2 more pills would bring my time down nearly as much.  That's good.  I want stability and gradual but STEADY improvement.  I still have a LONG way to go to get to the point in which I can make it through a weekend without pills.

PM- Trak Shak loop.  Walked up the opening hill and covered 2.5 miles in 23:27 (9:23 pace).  MINUS 75.  This was done after taking another 2 pills at lunch and 2 more in late afternoon.  Yes, the pills did make a difference.  I still believe that I would see BIG improvements on mega doses (9+ pills) but maybe not quite as dramatic as Sunday.  The best and fairly realistic scenario is to steadily get better on lower and lower doses.  For now, I need MEGA.  Supplies are running low but I should not run out because I re-ordered yesterday.

Distance=4.5

7/21-AM- 3x1 lap intervals.  Opened with a 2:45 (8:15 pace) then was only FRACTIONALLY slower on the B-12 so essentially no ill-effects at all.  The B-12 deficiency MAY be resolved.  If that's the case, in THEORY, the adrenal spike is the only thing standing in the way of getting back to respectability.  2 Thym-Adren pills brought me down to a 2:27 (7:21 pace).  MINUS 54.

PM- 3 miles on Lakeshore in 26:13 (8:44 pace).  1st half- 12:58, 2nd half- 13:15.  I was on pace for a 26-flat through 2 miles before fading a bit at the end.  Pleased with this one because I was done on just 5 total pills.  Supply is down to just 1 day but the new bottle should arrive tomorrow.  Granted, this route is a little easier than the Trak Shak loop but this pace was a MINUS 39 over an additional half mile (20 % longer).  This is REAL progress.  Can I keep it up?

Distance=4.0

7/22- 1.5 miles at Veteran's Park.  This was nothing more than a junk run.  Heart was not into it.  Trail was flooded in spots.  Today, I took Thym-Adren BEFORE the B-12 instead of after.  Bad call.  I still need it after.  Fortunately, the new bottle did arrive today.  Without it, I would have been hurting.

Distance=1.5    

7/23-AM 2x1 mile on Lakeshore to assess my reaction to mega doses.  I did the first mile in 8:15, which was probably skewed by a slow start on 6 pills.  Mile 2 was done on 9 pills.  I didn't feel a significant difference but the watch read 7:43 when I was done.  I'm probably sticking with 6 pills.  Yes, it was a significant improvement on 9 but not a night and day difference.  If I had seen a sub-7:15 on the back half, that would change things.  Also, the hip and groin were both a bit sore this afternoon.  Hopefully, it is nothing to worry about.  

PM- Rained out AGAIN!  So sick of this bad weather.

Distance=2.0

7/24- 6.5 miles starting at North Lakeshore and tacked on another 0.05 to make it a quarter marathon.  Finished in 64:03 (9:47 pace).  I wasn't concerned about the time.  I just wanted to finish comfortably.  Pace was slightly over 9:30 through 5 miles then crashed hard.  Just 5 weeks from tomorrow, I need to double this distance at a pace nearly 40 seconds faster per mile.  Tall order.  Hip and groin were both okay.  Manganese helped but I may have overdone that a bit, which probably slowed me down.  Very humid conditions.  Mornings aren't too bad if the weather was dry the previous day.  Not so lately.

Distance=6.5

7/25- 3 miles at Railroad Park for a change.  Finished in 24:26 (8:09 pace). This is a BIG improvement over just 4 days ago.  Cut off nearly 2 minutes.  This translates to about 25:30 for 5K.  I got out fast and it looked like I had a shot to go under the Mendoza line but that stretch from about 3K until the homestretch was tough.  Splits were 8:02-8:07-8:17.

Distance=3.0

-22 miles on the week.  I'll shoot for 25 next week.



No comments: