Monday, July 12, 2021

Rant or Rave: Libertarian Politics

 

It has long bothered me to see strict enforcement of rules against trivial things while allowing serious stuff to go unpunished.  Also, there must be equal justice under the law regardless of race, gender, or socioeconomic status.  Let’s go back to my school years.  I had an elementary school Gym teacher who took away my recess for heinous crimes such as forgetting to push in my chair or standing up when I was supposed to be sitting down.  Yet, he allowed kids to put others in a headlock and throw them down headfirst without any punishment at all.  Indeed, several other teachers who were lax when it came to bullying made darn sure that nobody ever did something as awful as chew gum in their class or wear a baseball cap in the hallway on the way to the bus.  In high school, I had a teammate who punched another kid in the face for making fun of his Mom.  He went unpunished and I’m quite sure it was because he was a straight-A student and Varsity athlete.  If he was merely an average kid that didn’t matter much, you better believe he’d be suspended. 

Now, let’s go back to the adult world.  There is a school of thought that you ought to be permitted to do whatever you like as long as you do not hurt or pose a danger to anyone other than yourself.  I do not go that far.  The more appropriate question is this:  Would there be a negative impact on society if a large percentage of the population engaged in that activity?  If the answer is yes, there should be at least some restrictions.  On a scale of 0-100 with 100 being the most Libertarian, I’m probably between a 50 and a 60.  That number has increased a bit in recent years.  As a Conservative, I tend to support Capitalism and free market economies while favoring more restrictions on personal conduct but again, I would usually let the small stuff go. 

When it comes to smoking, yes, I do support bans inside shopping malls, movie theaters, and most indoor venues.  No smoking within 15 feet of an entrance to a building?  That’s a little overkill.  As far as bars and restaurants, I would leave it up to the individual establishment.  If everything is equal, I would opt for the non-smoking establishment, but I would be willing to make an exception for good food and/or outstanding service.  I used to eat lunch at a local pub that allowed smoking because I got a hug from one of the servers before I left.  Sure, I’m willing to tolerate a little second-hand smoke for something like that.  Occasional exposure won’t hurt me but no, I would not want that every day.  For the record, I’ve not been back much since my friend left that job. 

In Wildwood, there is a strict no smoking policy on the boardwalk outdoors and a police officer even warned a man not to VAPE on the boardwalk.  C’mon man!  That’s not hurting anyone even if lots of people did it.  It’s virtually odorless especially if it’s done outdoors.     Drinking and smoking age?  I’d make both of them 19 or perhaps 20, but I’d lower it from 21.  High school kids should not have easy access and there is still high potential for abuse among college freshmen but once you are college age, you are old enough to make those decisions.  No boogie boards on a beach because you might hit a child?  Stupid!  Just designate a section of a beach for surfers and boarders if it is a problem.  New Orleans, Memphis and Savannah allow open alcohol containers in their entertainment districts.  I have no problem with that.  Same with boardwalks or the beach itself.  Just don’t get intoxicated. 

California in particular has got a lot of things bass ackwards.  A trans-woman can expose their penis to small children in a spa or changing room.  Shooting up heroin on the streets of San Francisco is rarely punished and shoplifting up to $1000 will not be prosecuted.  However, drinking out of plastic straws?  Smoking or vaping too close to an entrance of a building?  Oh no!  We can’t have any of that!  No, I would not throw the book at you for petty theft but there needs to be at least some deterrent because it raises the prices for honest folks and no business (jobs) can survive if much of their inventory is stolen. 

The big debate nowadays is marijuana legalization.  I still remain opposed to it on the grounds that it is not a good thing for society if lots of people did it regularly.  Colorado’s culture has changed in recent years and not for the better.  True, some pot smokers can be productive citizens, but many others cannot.  Moreover, I do believe it is a gateway drug that can lead to much harder stuff.  Nobody on Intervention started with heroin or methamphetamine.  They all started with marijuana.  With all that said, my view is evolving.  I’m fully on board with decriminalization.  You pay a fine and that’s it.  Nothing on your permanent record and no harm to your job prospects.  Medical marijuana?  I believe there are better ways to treat those illnesses but I’d rather you smoke weed than opt for opioids.  I believe the THC content is lower for the medical variety. 

In a recent shift, I no longer support punishing athletes for a positive marijuana test.  It’s not a PED.  It hinders your performance.  If a cop or firefighter tests positive or shows up for work stoned? Yes, I’d fire them because it puts the public in danger.  An athlete poses no danger to the public.  Let Richardson run in the Olympics.

No comments: