Monday, January 11, 2010

training 1/11-1/17

1/11- Lakeshore 9 in 69:02 (7:40 pace). I got heckled today. The quote was something to the effect of "have you ever heard of a car?" Wow. I never heard that one before! That's a bit on the fast side but I don't think it'll hurt me. Started too fast (7:18 1st mile) then settled down. This was nearly effortless. Thanks to increased taurine, my inflammation has diminished. It's a very fine line. More taurine on top of this would have resulted in more inflammation. My medical report has arrived and will be mailed by the end of the week.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=9.0

1/12- Johnny's workout was not real pleasant with temps in the 30s. Fortunately, the wind died down after the first interval. The workout was 4x1200 alone (all old people, nobody could keep up with me, LOL). It was an average performance. It is becoming clear that 1500 mg of taurine is not quite enough. I need 2000. If this workout had taken place only a few hours later, I would have been awful. As it is, the stats were 4:28-4:32-4:29-4:26 for an average pace of 5:59 per mile. That's acceptable but clearly not my best stuff. I ran a 200 all out to finish the workout and managed only 35 seconds (I've done 30 at the end of workouts before). 1 mile cool down with Ann and Susan. I get an 80 on the day and that's somewhat generous.
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=5.0

1/13- Trak Shak 5 immediately followed by Trak Shak 3. It was a lonely run but at least it was a bit warmer. I think I overdid the taurine a bit (tried 2500) which was a bit too much. It left me just a tad lethargic and depressed. I managed to finish in 62:26 (7:49 pace) with moderate effort. Pretty decent performance but I feel let down and when I took taurine before bed, it made me feel worse. I'll try to settle on 2000 mg. I think I've got a shot at 60 this week or at least the upper 50s. That' real good.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=8.0

1/14- Back down to 2000 mg. Felt pretty good today. Lakeshore 10 in 78:58 (7:54 pace). The first 9 were all near 8 then I hit the accelerator and ran the final mile at tempo effort and clocked a 7:12 (BQ pace). Solid but not outstanding. A good weekend will get me to 60. I was hoping that the medical report would be in the mail but it was not. I will call if I don't get it tomorrow but really don't want to wait until after the weekend.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=10.0

1/15- I did not realize until today that over the past 7 days (1/8-1/14), I ran 64 miles, which ties a 7 day mileage PR. If I had known that, I would have added a junk mile at the end of yesterday's run. Today is nothing more than a 4 mile recovery jog on the 'mill at garbage pace.
Medical report has arrived. There is little change in my thyroid/adrenal over-activity but some encouraging signs.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=4.0

1/16- I just haven't been feeling quite as good as I was in November-December. Today, every step was misery as I struggled through 8.5 at an average pace of 8:40 not including many stops. I just showed no life at all and it may have been a mistake to stay out there. Mild tarsal tunnel pain has flared up, possibly due to my unbalanced thyroid. I took just a tiny bit of chromium and 1 SBF after the medical report arrived. I'll know by the evening if the SBF is helping or hurting me. I have a chance at redemption tomorrow.
Edit: It's only afternoon and one SBF made me feel MUCH worse! I'll have to load on the Lithium and stay on the taurine to get my numbers in balance but I'm not sure that will do it.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=8.5

1/17- 13 mile progression run on mostly level ground. MUCH improved from yesterday. I did have to stop a lot to stretch. I could feel the pain in my foot but it wasn't horrible. In my last 4 miles, I was in the groove and turned in miles of 7:29-7:26-7:17-6:54. I will still rest tomorrow as planned as a precaution.
PM- garbage run on the 'mill. I just wanted my weekly distance to be a round number. This will not make any difference in my fitness. It was painful. Achilles tendon was sore.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=15.5
Weekly summary:
Well, I hit 60 on the week as I hoped. The problem is that it was too much running for me. Maybe I can handle a spike to the 60-65 range maybe once every 6 weeks but I know that I cannot maintain this mileage. The pain in my foot is starting to worry me. I will maintain my 50-55 miles/wk. Is that going to be enough to run a 3:10 BQ? In my current condition, it pains me to say that the answer is probably not. If I can't get the thyroid and adrenals in balance, I can't run a BQ. If I am in balance, I believe that I have sub-3 potential (I will not try for it. 3:10 is good enough for me). As for this week, I endured one minor flare up and one major flare up and still ran 60 miles and nearly made a 3.0. I am hurting now.
Distance=60.0/ GPA= 29.6/10=2.96

No comments: