Monday, January 4, 2010

training 1/4-1/10

1/4- Quad issue has been downgraded from extreme soreness to moderate soreness. It was still necessary to rest today. I had been warned by the 3:20 group on RWOL to slow down so I didn't reveal my workouts on that forum. I got yelled at big time by the 3:10 group instead. No, I will not go as intense this week nor did I have any plans to do so.

1/5- Sub-freezing temps the past 2 days. It's a good time for a cutback week. My quad was still sore and part of me is thinking to rest until the soreness goes away completely. Because I feared that this was an injury, I decided to test it out on the 'mill at recovery jog pace and it was a success. The quad is no more sore now than it was when I started so if this were an injury, I would not be able to even do this. I may be able to handle an easy Trak Shak run tomorrow and if I'm pretty much recovered by the weekend, I'll be around 35-40 on the week.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=2.0

1/6- Trak Shak 5 @ 7:13 average pace. That's a good deal slower than my usual but that's acceptable all things considered. I ran my last 3 miles at 1/2 mary pace (7:05-7:06-7:04), can't get much more even than that. Soreness in my quads has diminished but the inflammation has worsened. My doctor suggested that I try a new product for it and it has not worked. Still, overall not too bad. I'm almost back from my monster weekend.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=5.0

1/7- Easy 6 indoors. My new Garmin 405 and foot pod still didn't work indoors so I don't know the exact time or distance but I felt fine. That Hoover Rec center is almost as bad as the dreadmill but since it was spitting freezing rain and 30 degrees w/ wind, I didn't have much of a choice. Got home just after AL/TEX game started. Roll Tide.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.0

1/8- AM- Easy 4 on the 'mill. Wind chill was in the single digits in Birmingham, Alabama!!?? I did not struggle at all but the persistent inflammation in the groin is a concern. I've got to do something about it. I'm still waiting on the medical report.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=4.0
PM- Another easy 4 at Hoover Rec Center. That's about all that I can stand to do at that place. Even pace just above 8 but felt sluggish and stiff. I will try something else for the inflammation. My weight is up to 150.6, which is a good sign. Still no medical report. Wind chill again in the single digits so that's why I'm indoors. Runners have to run on the outside and walkers get the inside lane???!!!! The air seems stale there too so it's hard to breathe. When my membership expires in May, I will likely join the YMCA instead even if I have to pay a lot more.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=4.0

1/9- Trak Shak 13 in 1:41:13 (7:47 pace). I waited until the afternoon to run and the temp may have sneaked above 30, the start of a gradual warming trend. 'Bout time! The course was the first 6 of the 8 mile route then turned toward Lakeshore after I hit Mountain Brook Village then turned up Green Springs then ran the last half of the 5 mile route. It was a good course with a mix of flats, hills and mild inclines/declines. Started too fast early but settled into the 7:50s in the 2nd half (12 of 13 were under 8). This is roughly the pace that I want to run at Mercedes and I felt fine.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=13.0
Fun facts: It was warmer today in McMurdo, Antarctica than it was in Birmingham
It was warmer in Juneau, Alaska that it was in Orlando, Florida.
1/10- 11 miles in 87:42 (7:58 pace). Faded pretty badly in the last 4 miles but managed to hold sub-8 pace. Good pace for the first 7 and managed to finish pretty strong but 8-10 sucked. I just didn't have my best stuff today and part of me didn't want to be out there at all. I hope I'm not getting burned out. Temp was near 30 and sunny but there was a 15 mph wind so the wind chill was about 20.
Grade:C+/2 credits/ distance=11.0
Weekly summary:
This was a planned cutback week and I got about what I expected out of myself. Yes, last week was a bit too hard but I was surprised by some of the reactions to my workouts. My favorite was: "holy overtraining. Do you want to get injured? Then slow the eff down on your easy days." According to McMillian, I should run my easy workouts at 7:45-8:15 and that's what I did with the exception of one day, (5 in 7:20)All things considered, being a cutback week with freezing temps all week, not too bad overall.
Distance=45.0/ GPA= 28.7/10=2.87

No comments: