Monday, August 1, 2011

Training 8/1-8/7

8/1- Any improvement at all? Yes. There is some. 5 miles in 36:27 (7:18 pace) running pretty much all out. That's 20 seconds per mile better than yesterday afternoon and this one had no walk break after 2 miles. I was still a disheartening 4:30 from the unofficial PR or more than a full kilometer behind in terms of distance. No power in my legs or spring in my strides. Just a lot of fatigue and blahs. Below average performance. Splits were 7:10-7:13-7:20-7:29-7:15. I can do a thyroid hormone test as early as tomorrow.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=5.0
PM- Same 5 mile run as 12 hours earlier. My time is down to 34:57 (6:59 pace) with very even splits. 6:57-7:00-7:03-7:05-6:52. Still fatigued and blah and it felt like my top 2 gears were not available. 3 minutes down on my PR but definitely an improvement after taking another raw thyroid glandular pill. I can't do a thyroid test because I need a doctor's order. DAMMIT!
Grade:B/2 credit/distance=5.5

8/2- Woke up feeling horrible after not taking any thyroid pills for about 16 hours. Anyone want to guess what will happen if I take some at work? I'm going to take a wild guess and say that I'll be a lot better in the afternoon. Unless the hair test shows that my numbers came down significantly, I can guarantee a relapse within about a month. Only covered 1 Mile of a scheduled 3 in the morning and my time was so bad that I cut off the watch.
PM- A reason for optimism? Maybe. 3 pills later, I am another 90+ seconds faster. I covered the same 5 mile distance in a pretty solid 33:19 (6:40 pace). Splits were 6:34-6:38-6:42-6:46-6:39. That's still more than a minute slow and I still felt a trace of abnormality but overall, not bad at all. Good call on skipping the thyroid test. It would have shown problems on Saturday or Sunday but probably not today. I will stick with the thyroid glandulars until I relapse again.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=6.5

8/3- Trak Shak 5 in 97 degree temps with a heat index of 105. I decided to leave the watch at home and run naked. Good call there. It appears that Stress Pak won't work because it contains choline/inositol. The only thing that does work right now is the thyroid glandular. This was an easy run based purely on feel and it was comparable to yesterday.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.0

8/4- Hot. Breezed through an easy 6 with a time of 44:26 (7:24 pace) then without even stopping, I kicked in the turbo and clocked a 7th mile in an impressive 6:17 for an overall time of 50:43 (7:15 average). Steady on 3 thyroid glandulars until further notice. I will send in the hair test kit tomorrow.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=7.5

8/5- Cold. I tried only 2 thyroid pills in the morning and it wasn't enough. No, it was not natural fatigue either. Now, I know that if I am to run with the group tomorrow, I must take 3 first thing in the morning. What's going to happen with this in the near future? Who knows? I could have unbearable fatigue unless I take 6-8 of these pills before too long but doing that will only accelerate the impending relapse. The workout was a 2.5 mile junk run at recovery effort. My pace, which I really didn't care about, turned out to be 8:06. That's not far off what I planned to do but based on feel, I get a low grade. Hair test will be sent during my lunch break.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=2.5

8/6- Just as I feared, I must increase my dosage. I tried 3 in the morning and it wasn't enough. Ran with the group and I was struggling to hold a 7:45 pace early. I got dropped by the lead group after 4 miles, ran with the 2nd group for 3 then cut it short after 10 miles of a scheduled 12. I hit the wall after about 8.5 miles, walked up Hollywood Blvd and just trotted home at about 10:00 pace. Overall moving pace was around 8:10.
Got home and popped another pill, waited about an hour and hit the indoor track for some more miles. Despite hurting, I managed to hold a sub-8 pace all the way and finished 7.5 miles in 58:30 (7:48 pace). I actually felt like the 4th pill actually took me too far in the other direction and a 5th would have spelled disaster. I'm not sure how I feel about this one overall. My pace was a hair over 8 on average but my total distance was the most I've covered in 1 day since Huntsville and caps off my first 50 mile week since Spring.
Grade:C+/2 credits/distance=18.0

8/7- Earned a rest day.

Weekly summary:
I am too emotionally drained to comment much further. On the surface, this week doesn't look too bad though. GPA is near average and it was my 4th 50 mile week of the year.
Distance=50.0/GPA= 27.6/10=2.76

No comments: