Monday, August 22, 2011

Training 8/22-8/28

8/22- 1 mile all out in a blazing 7:54 then had to quit because I hit the wall. I cannot take this instabilty. There's got to be another solution besides the thyroid caps. My medical report did reveal a deficiency in manganese so I'm going to give that a try.
Edit: My tissue manganese level was 0.016 and anything below 0.030 is considered "very low" and manganese is required for proper thyroid function. A reason to hope?
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=1.0

PM- 5 miles in 36:24 (7:17 pace). Moderate effort. This is a "marathon pace" run according to McMillan. I took 2 manganese before the run and felt better immediately. Let's see how I do tomorrow with no thyroid caps. Once again, being unstable has one advantage. Although your form can deteriorate without warning, the comebacks are quick.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=5.5
Thought on this: The magic of the thyroid caps is gone which is no surprise. I knew that this was only a temporary fix. However, I expected that fast oxidation symptoms to take over. Instead, it was the fatigue that got worse. The manganese was only 40% of ideal on the medical report and trending down. If not for the hair test, I may not have known the solution for a very long time. Manganese is a stimulant so it will push me further into fast oxidation so I'm still in a 2 front war. However, there is a chance that in time, I can reduce it so that it will be more than offset by the treatments needed to control fast oxidation.

8/23- Victory. Made it through the day without thyroid caps. I took 3 manganese pills which caused me to feel awful. Warming up, I knew I could not even finish a mile. That's good. That's what should have happened based on my medical report. I took the daily dose of Thym-Adren and ended up with a pretty good run. 7 miles in 51:45 (7:24 pace). Felt somewhat too loose but still pretty solid overall.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=7.5

8/24- Cut manganese down to one and hope to stay there if not down to 1/2 along with Thym-Adren and Stress Pak. Trak Shak 5 in 32:58 (6:36 pace) plus a mile cool with Lee. Weather was 95 and dry just how I like it. LOL. Seriously, that's a lot more comfortable than 88 and sticky. Final mile was an impressive 6:12. Now, where was that on Saturday? Oh I forgot, I was on the edge of a relapse. This was a strong tempo and would have been better if it was 20 degrees cooler but in all honesty, it wasn't quite this good. Traffic was very heavy so the stops were longer than normal.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=6.0

8/25- AM run and a test to see how I'd do without any pills. It wasn't too bad. A little tight but overall okay. 5 miles in 38:53 (7:47 pace). I will rest for 48 hours then I'll run with the fast group on Saturday and it may be the last time I do so for a while. I won't do 18 milers @ 7:20 pace in training for a marathon.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.5

8/26- Planned rest day. Too loose and over anxious when I woke up. I don't need to run to know that my manganese must be cut from 10-5 mg. Thym-Adren as well as choline inositol should also be increased. I've got another week to sort this out before my next 5K race.

8/27- No manganese this morning and it was probably the right call. As it approaches noon, however, the deficiency is started to catch up to me. Strong run this morning and it feels like we're getting our first taste of Fall. It's still over 90 in the afternoon but it's cooler in the morning and the humidity has gone down. I was stuck in the middle on the group run. Too fast to run with the 2nd group but not quite good enough to stick with the sub-3 guys. Finished with 12.5 miles with an average pace of 7:24. First 10 were done at a comfortable 7:33 average then I turned it on with a 6:59-6:49-3:15 for a 6:49 average in the last 2.5, which is faster than my half race pace.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=12.5

8/28- Easy 6 in 45:39 (7:37 pace). This is okay for an easy day but if this had been a race day, I would have sucked real bad. A mega dose of choline/inositol is not the answer. I've got to rely on Thym-Adren and possibly some Stress Pak. I actually felt both too tight and overstimulated at the same time. I was able to run fairly well today because some of it has cleared my system. I'm still dealing with some low grade depression, which will be there until this fully clears my system.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.0

Weekly summary:
Pretty decent week overall. I still don't feel any closer to the solution and yes I am sad and angry about all this. I hope that Thym Adren is strong enough to offset the stimulation of manganese and really don't want any more adjustments.
Distance=44.0/ GPA= 27.8/9=3.09

No comments: