Monday, September 23, 2013

Training 9/23-9/29 race week

EDIT:  Lots of page views on this one.  The Jigsaw Magnesium, which contains Folate and B-6 as co-factors proved to be too much because it along with magnesium "neutralizes" adrenaline.  Pure Magnesium malate was better for me but it appears that I cannot take it with the Thym-Adren.
FINAL EDIT:  Looks like I am getting back on track by taking all Thym-Adren and no Mag at least for the time being.  After the Mag RBC tested normal, I feel comfortable sticking with all Thym-Adren until further notice.

9/23- Another solid start to the week.  Lakeshore 6.5 in 48:20 (7:26 pace).  Looks strong on the surface but I was working harder than I should have been.  Daily runs in sub-7:30 are fine when I am in sub-90 shape for a half but not so now.  Fairly even pace.  Again, all but 1 mile was sub-7:30.  Grade is lenient today.  I certainly do not feel this well.  Took a 2:1 ratio of Cal/Mag.  I do suspect that too much Mag relative to Cal may have thrown my Na/K off but that should be only temporary.  Can I avoid a collapse this week?  Is it too much to ask?
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.0

9/24- VERY poor effort in a tempo try.  Got off to a pretty good start (6:40 1st mile) then died.  Mile 4 was 7:30 and Mile 5 was over 8:00.  Finished 5 miles in 36:25 (7:17 pace).  I'll cut myself some slack and won't call this a tempo if I can bounce back tomorrow.  I tried some extra magnesium last night along with just a trace of Thym-Adren and it apparently did not clear my system.  It will not work.  It's 2:1 Cal/Mag or bust.  Nothing else will work.  If I quit the Mag, I'll be back on the Thym-Adren and probably the Fructosin.  I may be faster in the short term but have no chance of getting in balance.
Grade:C/2 credit/distance=5.0

9/25- WORSE!  The Thym-Adren apparently has not cleared.  I must be better tomorrow.  Naked 3 miler at the Shak.  Pace was likely 8:30ish.  I'm contemplating retirement again.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=3.0

9/26- Not much better than yesterday's debacle.  3 miles at Gold's in 23:57 (7:59 pace) with splits of 7:17-8:08-8:32.  OUCH!  I don't understand it.  The glandulars should be fully out of my system by now. Maybe something else is the matter but it's too close to race day to experiment and possibly make things worse. The plan is to participate in the race on Sunday only because I've already signed up.  It's only a 10K so I can finish safely for sure.  If it were a half mary or even a 15K, I'd skip it.
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=3.0

9/27- 1 mile junk run in around 7:20 and had to quit because of stomach cramps.  BAD!
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=1.0

9/28- Planned rest day.

9/29- Great Race 10K in 43:00 (6:55 pace) plus a warm and cool.
Grade:C+/3 credits/distance=7.0

Weekly summary:
End of the 3rd quarter and I'm done with the magnesium.  Did better than expected in the race and checked off state #7 of 10 for the 10K.
Distance= 26.0/ GPA= 17.9/8= 2.24
YTD: 1,348 miles.  14-23 with a 2.54 GPA.

No comments: