Monday, February 10, 2014

Training 2/10-2/16

2/10- Took 3 Endodren pills and a Vitamin C.  Showed improvement over yesterday.  Finished 3 miles in 22:56 (7:39 pace).  Very sluggish and stiff.  Good news is that my hip pain was minimal.  The quad tendon was moderately sore.  If my theory is correct, today went just about as expected.  If the hair test protocol works properly, you should not see any difference from day to day if you do not work out.  Maybe from week to week, you will feel a minor change.  It's like watching the hour hand on a clock.  If you monitor it closely with timed workouts, you'll see slight improvements on a daily basis.  I expect that it may take 3 weeks to get back to winning form.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=3.0

2/11- Another small step forward.  1 Mile time trial at Gold's.  I simply hoped for a sub-6:45 and I clocked a 6:34.5.  I'm certainly not going to celebrate that but I do feel noticeably better today.  Added a half mile cool.  Prolotherapy round 2 is tomorrow and I may have to drive up there tonight if the weather forecast remains iffy.  I am toying with the idea of jogging the half at Mercedes but will likely just do the 5K.  I hope to be sub-22 by then.
Grade:C/2 credits/distance=1.5

2/12- Planned rest day.  Prolotherapy was rough but I made it through.  Drove home through snow flurries and heavy rain.  Mercedes decision:  I am running the 5K and possibly a leg of the relay but not the half.

2/13- Planned rest day.  Still too sore from the shots in the hip.  The inflammation kicked in hard immediately but began to die down by the evening.  We got snow again last night and it's hard to believe that the first signs of Spring will come in 2-3 weeks.  Thankfully, I was home safely before the snow started.  I may be up for a gentle run tomorrow evening.

PM- Walking with just a slight limp today.  Still slowly gaining energy thanks to the Endodren. I'll be pain free by Saturday.  I'm going to try to downgrade to the 5K but if they won't let me and I feel good on Sunday, it's crossed my mind to run the half as a training run.  If I am encouraged by my 5K performance, I'm more likely to run Sunday.  I really wish the companion 5K was on the same day as the main events.

2/14- AM- I HATE VALENTINE'S DAY!   New wrinkle has come up.  One of my friends who is signed up for the marathon relay is injured and can't run.  She asked me to take her place so I said "Sure, I'll do it."  I'm still running the 5K tomorrow.   As for Sunday, my leg is 2.95 miles, roughly from Mile 6.05-Mile 9.0.  I hope they'll let me continue running after my leg is finished.  I'll have to drop out before the finish but I'll get to cover 7 miles, which should be a safe distance for me.
Planning a gentle run this afternoon.

PM- Vestavia 2 mile in 14-flat (7:00 pace).  Effort was moderate. Splits were 7:08/6:52 with a 1:36 last lap.  If I feel the same tomorrow, I think I can go mid-21s for 5K in a race setting.  Felt much better than expected but my Achilles was a bit tender after the run.  That's a concern but my whole body has been tight and sore for a long time.  You can be darn sure that it has nothing to do with my training (or lack thereof) now.  On the medical front, I have sent in my hair sample and have ordered my Mag RBC test.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=2.0

2/15- Regions Super Hero 5K was a go.  Finished in 21:09 (6:50 pace).  Slightly better than expected.  Splits were 6:36-6:47-7:00-46.  It was good enough for 3rd in my age group out of 57 runners.  That says more about the weakness of the field than my performance.  Achilles held up fine and was no worse than yesterday.  A time between 21:00-21:15 is a "D+" under normal circumstances but I'll cut myself some slack today.
Grade:C+/3 credits/distance=3.5

2/16- Ran the relay from Mile 6.1-Mile 9.0 then continued on my own and dropped out at Mile 12.6.  Finished 6.5 miles in a solid time of 46:54 (7:13 pace) plus a warm and cool.  Figure that I did a quarter marathon at 3:10 BQ pace.  A more detailed post is coming about the whole weekend.
Grade:B/2 credit/distance=7.0

Weekly summary:
The switch to the Endodren was a shocker but the chemical sensitivity appears to be gone.  Mega doses of Thym-Adren overshot the balance point (I hope).  I am pleased with my progress and intend to keep doing what I'm doing as long as I continue to improve.
Distance= 17.0/ GPA= 21.6/9= 2.40
YTD: 164 miles.  Record: 2-4 with a 2.06 GPA

No comments: