Monday, February 17, 2014

Training 2/17-2/23

2/17- Went to the Lab for the Mag RBC test.  I should get the results no later than Thursday.  Went directly to Lakeshore from there and ran 5 miles in 37-flat (7:24 pace).  Solid performance but I was feeling a little weird.  It's as if the energy is trying to break through a barrier but remains held back.  Slowed considerably on the back half (18:17-18:43) but that was by design.  Hit 35K page views today so thanks again to my readers.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=5.0

2/18- Salazar 300s at Vestavia plus a warm and cool.  Did 10 reps in sets of 5 plus a final 200 all out.   R was only 1 minute except for a jog lap between sets.  Finished with an average of 59.6 (range was 58-61) for the 300s and closed with a solid 34.1.  Overall pace for the workout was 5:15 for 2 miles worth of intervals.  Decent performance.  Strength was good but the speed was not sharp at all. That's characteristic of slow oxidation.  
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=3.5

2/19- Trak Shak 5 in 38:29 (7:42 pace).  I did what I planned on doing today.  Ran with a guy named David.  Slowed considerably again on the back half again but the early pace was too fast.  It was a little demoralizing to see a pace over 7:30 but slowing my easy pace is the right thing to do.  If I want to run decent mileage, the paces must slow at least until I improve my fitness.  I've only been on Endodren for 10 days so I've got to remain patient.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.0

2/20- Planned rest day.  I remain stable and if I have to sacrifice some speed, so be it.  Time trial tomorrow. Out of curiosity, I took some chromium and got little to no reaction.  That's good news.   Feeling very tired in the evening but it's likely due to over-reaching and I should be fine by tomorrow.

2/21- AM- COLLAPSE!  Tried to run a mile time trial and fell off pace in lap 2 feeling very overstimulated. It appears that after  12 days on the Endodren, I am back to fast oxidation.  From this point, I will take neither the Thym-Adren nor the Endodren and try to get by on Cal/Mag though I won't be surprised if I end up back on low dose Thym-Adren.  As for the workout, I punted after the first 600 in 2:15 and finished in a pathetic 7:22.   Added a glacial cool down.  This development was not unexpected but I figured that it would take another week or so and the shift would be gradual.  Oddly, I am not depressed.  That's probably because my system rejected it because it took me in the wrong direction, not because of the processing issue.

PM- I wanted to rule out chromium dependency and I passed the test.  Soccer game at Vestavia so I ended up at Gold's.  Did 6 laps at standard effort in 5:30 (8:15 pace). Then popped a chromium pill, jogged another 1.5 then set out on another 6 laps at the same effort.  I clocked a 5:27 this time so it was slightly better with the chromium but not nearly enough to be considered statistically significant. To my new readers: Before the detox, it was common for me to pop a pill and get an immediate reaction (sometimes good, sometimes awful). I am upbeat and expect to do better tomorrow.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=3.0

2/22- Woke up feeling too overstimulated so I had to take 2 Thym-Adren to survive a double digit run.  I barely survived.  Ran with the Gnomes and I managed to get under 8:00 pace after a slow start but cramped badly after Mile 9.  I treated the last mile like a cool down and finished the distance in a time of 81:28 (8:09 pace).  The "B" goal was 8:00 pace and I fell just short.  Still, it was my longest run since week 2.  It will be 1 Thym-Adren tomorrow then hope against hope that I can get by with neither that nor Endodren. 

PM- Tacked on another 1.5 at junk pace on Wisteria.  Feeling dejected today.  2 Thym-Adren was too much.  My mood is always better when my oxidation is on the fast side.  Another factor is that during the group run, I was almost completely left out of the conversation.  It either centered around ultra running, which I have no interest, or spouses and kids.  It will be zero Thym-Adren tomorrow!  Words cannot even begin to describe how much I want to be done with this ordeal.  I want to believe but it's hard when I've been let down so many times.
Grade:C+/2 credits/distance=11.5

2/23- AM 2 mile junk run on Wisteria.  Ran the down portion in 7:48 then had to slow down because my stomach was jacked up.   Took zero pills this morning.  My energy has ticked up a notch but I remain VERY sore from yesterday's workout, which was hardly extreme.  I used to run double that distance at a pace 40 seconds faster.  I will run again this afternoon.  Weather is sunny and 70 degrees so this is our first taste of Spring.

PM- Trak Shak 3 mile route in a moving time of 22:13 (7:24 pace).  Very solid performance.  Struggled a little on the hills but ran the declines very well.  Soreness has diminished considerably over the past few hours.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=5.0

Weekly summary:
The rehab is over.  Time to get on the training full scale now.  Lost my 5th straight decision but the overall GPA continues to improve.  This was my best showing since week 2.  As of now, I cannot take either the Thym-Adren or the Endodren.  However, I do not believe it to be a processing issue because I can take any mineral, vitamin, herb or amino acid without a problem.  It's now or never.  If I don't get my freedom within the next few weeks, I don't see it happening.
Distance= 33.0/GPA= 21.8/8=2.73
YTD: 197 miles.  Record: 2-5 with a 2.16 GPA

No comments: