Monday, February 24, 2014

Training 2/24-3/2

2/24- Biggest news of the day is that the medical report is in the mail.  The doctor's office called me today but I did not want to know the results over the phone.  Today's workout was a good sign.  Lakeshore 6.5 in 47:53 (7:22 pace).  Felt more like the old Crazy J.  Slowed just a tad after Mile 4 and had a little bit of quad soreness but that's okay.
 I've looked at a few of my posts from late 2012 and it is demoralizing to see how much I have regressed in the last 12 months.  If I get a good report then I know that a turnaround is just around the corner.  I know that I cannot take Thym-Adren but I can take ADHS, which is a modulator, and not nearly as strong.  If I remain badly unbalanced but have to take ADHS instead of Thym-Adren, I'm done setting PRs but should retain decent running ability (low-mid 1:30s).  I could live with that especially if I am stable.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.0

2/25- Took 2 ADHS this morning and was pleased with the result.  Salazar 300s this time at Hoover.  10 reps in sets of 5 just like last time.  I improved my average from a 59.6 to a 58.0 (range was 56-60) and once again closed with a 34 second 200.  Overall pace per mile was 5:07 compared with 5:15 last week.  I bet I could do a 5K under 20:30 now so I am improving.  Calf was a bit sore towards the end but it's not a major concern.  Yesterday's pace was a little fast but it did not seem to hurt me in this workout.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=3.5

2/26- Tempo.  5K in 20:35 on tired legs (6:36 pace). Best time of the year.  Splits were 6:26-6:41-6:47-41 so not the best pacing either. This was a 34 second improvement in only 10 days.  Put me out there in a race setting on fresh legs with another 2 weeks of training and I'll have a shot at a sub-20 at Rumpshaker.  Pacing will likely be the key.  A time in this range is only a "C" in a race setting but since it was run on tired legs solo, it's up a full grade.  No medical report today.  It will arrive tomorrow.  I am not as afraid as I was last week.
Grade:B/2 credit/distance=4.0

2/27- Well deserved rest day.  I feel well enough to do an easy workout today so I'm not totally zonked after back to back hard days.  I may have a bizarre dream tonight.  One recent dream that I did not post involved being accused of a murder that happened when I was 16 and trying to prove that I was at a track meet that day, which I probably was in real life.  NO medical report in the mail today.  If it was mailed on Tuesday, it should have arrived by now.  Tomorrow for sure.

2/28- STILL NO MEDICAL REPORT!  I'll bet the receptionist forgot to mail it.  I'm not too upset.  No matter what the result, I'm sticking with my basic plan of more Mag, less Cal and ADHS instead of Thym-Adren or Endodren.  Today's workout was mixed.
AM- 4 miles at Gold's in a moving time of 29:28 (7:22 pace).  The pace felt fine but my stomach was jacked up something awful.  Added a cool.

PM- 2 mile junk run on Wisteria just to add mileage.  Again, the stomach was jacked up.  This would have been an "A" otherwise.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=6.5

3/1-  Felt a little weird.  I forgot to take the ADHS this morning and tried to run without it.  I may have been able to fight through an easy run but it would have been ugly.  I quit after a mile in 8:14 then went back home to pop 3 pills.  Went back and proceeded to run 12 miles just south of 7:30 pace.  Good job but I was pretty much spent at the end.  Overall workout stats were 13 miles in 1:38:09 (7:33 pace).  It really wasn't as good as it looks because I had to stop too often but it's still an awesome improvement over last week.  This was the first time that I have topped 10 miles since week 1.  Stomach has calmed down a bit. I think the culprit was too much magnesium.  I over-reached after the sub-optimal test result.  NOT pleased that I remain so sensitive to missed doses.  I will try 1 Endodren this afternoon just to see what happens.  I don't care if I bomb tomorrow because I've clinched a win this week.  I suspect that I could be a mixed oxidizer now (slow thyroid/mild fast adrenals).  If that's the case, a modulator (ADHS) is probably a good call.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=13.0
Update:  The Endodren seemed to help.  Taking 1 of those may be beneficial but 3 every day is too much as I learned last week.

3/2- Bad call on the Endodren. Too overstimulated. It was a risk that I was willing to take.  I felt energized when I woke up and was doing okay through 2 miles (15:34) but crashed hard after that.  I thought about quitting but stuck it out and slow jogged another 4 on Lakeshore.  Finished 6 miles in 53:14 (8:52 pace).  Nothing to worry about.  I expect to be fine tomorrow.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=6.0

Weekly summary:
I have snapped a 5 week losing streak.  I cannot take the stimulator (Endodren) or the suppressant (Thym-Adren) but I NEED the modulator (ADHS).  Go figure.  If my system rejects that, I just have to detox again. I really wish that I had that medical report now.  As it is, I will probably have to wait until Wednesday of next week.
Distance=40.0/ GPA= 28.8/9= 3.20
YTD: 237 miles.  Record is 3-5 with a 2.29 GPA.

No comments: