Monday, October 31, 2016

Training 10/31-11/6

10/31- Unplanned rest day.  Vitamin C appears to be working.  5-HTP is a disaster.  Ferritin re-test is tomorrow.  5-HTP makes me sore and drowsy.  Should be better tomorrow.

11/1- AM- Did the ferritin blood work and should have the results tomorrow.  Trial and error at Gold's.  Came through 1 mile without any citrate or Vitamin C in 8:14 running at tempo effort.  Popped a Cal citrate with Mag and did the next half mile in 3:38 (7:16 pace) then took 1 Vitamin C pill and improved to 3:13 (6:26 pace) for an overall time of 15:05 (7:32 avg).
Distance=2.0
Reaction:
It is CRYSTAL CLEAR now.  I need both Cal citrate and Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid).  Maybe I can switch to Whole food C someday.  I'll find out tomorrow if the Cal citrate is helping the ferritin but either way, I'll need to go back to Curcumin keep the serum Iron under control.

PM- Lakeshore 2 in 17:28 (8:44 pace).  1 Vitamin C worked well.  3?  Not so much.  Not a big surprise or disappointment.  I had a MAP test with Yasko last year that did NOT show arabinose issues.  Hmm.  No doubt I need a stronger probiotic.
Distance=4.0

11/2- AM- Tried Whole Food C again and not surprisingly, it was a TOTAL DISASTER.
Just a 1 Mile junk run.  Stay tuned for the ferritin results later today.

PM- Improved a bit.  3 miles at Gold's in 26:54 (8:58 pace) with an even pace.  The whole food C hasn't cleared yet and I'm not sure about the ascorbic acid either.  Ferritin is down 77 points to 171.  Nowhere near where it needs to be but progress is progress.
Distance=4.0

11\3- AM. 6 laps at Gold's in 7 flat (10:30 pace) then popped just 1 D pill and improved to 5:58 (8:57 pace). 1000 mg of ascorbic acid is a FAIL. 500 may be as well but the D is promising.

PM- Lakeshore 2.5 in 21:35 (8:38 pace).  Not much to say that's not already apparent.
Vitamin C in any form is likely a fail at any dose.
Distance=4.0

11/4- Lakeshore 3 in the daylight after work for the last time until Spring.  Felt noticeably better today thanks to reducing the Vitamin C.  Finished in 22:54 (7:38 pace) with even splits and a little bit left at the end.  I'll be better tomorrow when it's completely out of my system but it's still the right call to skip Vulcan.  Instead, I'm going to South Carolina for a Clemson game.
Distance=3.0

11/5- Planned rest day.  Clemson won in a blowout.  If you include drive through states, South Carolina makes it 21 states visited this year alone.
Dallas Trip: AL, MS, LA, TX
KC Trip: TN, AR, MO, KS, IL, KY
Alaska: AK, WA (overnight in Seattle)
Gulf Coast: FL
Pittsburgh: VA, WV, PA, OH
Tahoe: CA, NV
Clemson: GA, SC

11/6- Vitamin D testing.  Intervals at Gold's.  With no D, I did better than expected with a 7:10 mile but I was fading to the 7:30 range by the end.  Without Cal citrate, I would have been closer to 8.
1 D pill: Improved to 6:44 and held the pace pretty well
2 D pills: Improved to 6:18 with a dead even split
I believe I could have threatened the 6 minute barrier if fresh.
Distance=3.0
The MAG group is strongly against D supplementation but what the hell do I have to lose?  Hopefully, it will be only a temporary measure until I fix the sulfate metabolism.

-18 miles on the week.  YTD: 1135.

No comments: