1/1- Decent start to 2017. 4 miles at Gold's in 30:12 (7:33 pace). The 1st and 2nd halves were both 15:06 but slipped to 7:44 in Mile 3 before a nice rebound at the end. I'd like to do 10 tomorrow but it will probably have to be indoors because it's supposed to rain all day. I believe the formula is SET once again. I do indeed need methylation support and low dose B-12 so that means Cal is out and the adrenal support must be ADHS rather than Thym-Adren. I may tinker a bit with taurine, glutathione or TMG but I want to keep it stable. All those should be tolerated now that I am taking Zinc.
Grade:B/ 1 credit/Distance=4.0
1/2- AM- Planned on 10 miles @ 8:20ish pace. Fell off a cliff after just a quarter mile and just slow jogged the remainder of the mile. Time was likely over 10 minutes. The culprit was taurine. It worked just fine yesterday but not so today. More of the same in the new year.
PM- Extra zinc/copper made things a bit better but I was still not up for any quality stuff. Did 3 miles at Gold's in 25:44 (8:35 pace) with relatively even splits on a nasty weather day. Strangely, all the other sulfur containing pills seem to be well tolerated including glutathione. However, I can't say that I would be surprised if several consecutive days on that stuff will trigger a relapse. I will likely toss the taurine and opt for occasional use of the glutathione. Another FAILED long run and Mercedes is only 6 weeks away. NYC is 5 weeks after that. I expect to get the Zinc and Copper RBC test results any day now and it will merit a separate post.
1/3- Unplanned rest day. I can no longer tolerate Curcumin. Test results came back today and I was right about having a Zinc imbalance but it was HIGH not low. Ferritin was up again while Copper was normal. More to come later but I was NOT happy. IP-6 appears to be okay again.
1/4- AM- The hated trial and error interval workout. 4x800s
Basic Formula- 5:04- Intolerance to Curcumin clearly evident
Lactoferrin- 5:46- Again, this was a HALF mile.
IP-6- 4:49- Intended to lower Ferritin
Adrenal Stimulant-4:13- Have I flipped to slow oxidation?
More to come in a separate post. Most likely, that's it for today as far as training. Overall moving time was 19:52 for 2 miles (9:56 pace).
PM- Began feeling a little better by the afternoon. Decided to tack on 3 miles at Gold's in 24:52 (8:17 pace) with a negative split (12:32-12:20). Tomorrow is my first full day off Lactoferrin and Curcumin. Being off the latter won't hurt me. The lactoferrin was merely an ingredient in a methylation supplement. Can I get by without it? I don't know. If not, I'll have to find a substitute.
1/5- NO GOOD. Tried taking all methylation support except for the pill containing lactoferrin and it was disastrous. Pace collapsed after just a third of a mile and called it quits after just 1 mile in 8:25. Pace had slipped to over 9 by the end. There are 3 solutions to the lactoferrin problem:
1) Cut out all methylation support
2) Find a substitute product that does not contain lactoferrin
3) Bite the bullet and stay on it but hope the IP-6 will offset it.
Leaning towards #3.
PM- Felt better immediately after taking the Methyl Mate. Re-learned the lesson that with Methyl folate and Methyl Mate, it has to be both or neither. NOT one or the other. At least the dose and ratio are flexible. Last summer, I needed X amount of each or else. I really believe that the IP-6 will more than compensate for the lactoferrin and a substitute product could be expensive and ineffective or possibly harmful. As for the workout, I did 3 miles in 22:48 (7:36 pace). MINUS 41/mile over yesterday.
What usually happens is that I continue to get better for a few more days and get down into the 21s, I may even break the barrier but just when my hopes begin to rise, I get hammered by another crushing relapse. Hate to say it but I expect it to happen again.
1/6- 3 miles in 21:48 (7:16 pace). MINUS 20. So far so good with the current plan. I was 11-flat at the half then popped an adrenal stimulant (took only a few seconds) and improved to 10:48 over the back half. Not a dramatic improvement so I'm sticking with the modulator.
Getting into the 21s is no cause for celebration. I'm still over 90 seconds (30/mile) away from a sub-21 5K, which is the low end of respectability in my book. If I can break 21 (7:00 pace), I'd feel a little differently.
1/7- Unplanned rest day due to the weather. We got ice/snow last night and the roads are still bad as of noon today. I'm staying in. Energy has taken a hit today. It appears that I was too aggressive with the IP-6. If I have to cut that out completely, I'm in big trouble. Hopefully, I just need to reduce to dose. Otherwise, few conservative options remain.
1/8- Another FAILED long run. Pace fell off immediately but held it under 9 until the end of Mile 2 then collapsed to 10 minute pace. Called it quits after 3 miles in 27:27 (9:09 pace). IP-6 was likely the culprit. Hopefully, a reduced dose will do the trick. If not, it's a liver flush or blood donation.
Not much difference in the new year.
Distance= 23.0/ GPA= 9.9/9= 1.10