Monday, January 9, 2017

Training 1/9-1/15

1/9- Junk run.  2 miles in a time over 20.  IP-6 ill-effects were worse than yesterday but fortunately, I believe there is an explanation.  I've read that caffeine messes with IP receptors.  A glimmer of hope is still alive.  I am prepared for a tough withdrawal tomorrow or Wednesday. What if Ferritin drops below 100 but I'm still not improving?
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=2.0

1/10- Spain Park 3 miler on a pleasant 50 degree evening.  Stuck with IP-6 and abstained from caffeine.  Did better than expected.  I wasn't sure I would break the Mendoza line but I finished in 22:56 (7:39 pace).  Splits were 7:33-7:44-7:39 but had little left at the end.  No real withdrawal symptoms but Day 2 has historically been tougher.  I can expect to be back in the 21s tomorrow or the next day but hope to go longer.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=3.0

-IP-6 is still tolerated as long as I stay off caffeine and when motivated, I can do it.  I'll get Ferritin re-tested at the end of the month and I think I can expect a significant improvement.  Will it be accompanied by improved performance or at least more consistency?  We shall see.

1/11- Lakeshore 5 in 43:42 (8:44 pace).  Got through the planned workout but it was ugly.  Started off okay with a 20:22 first half then died (23:20) and was doing about 9:40 pace at the end.  Clearly a downer after yesterday and really not sure what to make of it.  I did have some Green Tea today, which has minimal caffeine (about 20 mg).  Could that be the problem?  I wouldn't think that such a small dose would cause a problem but I could be wrong.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=5.0

1/12- Spain Park 1 mile in 8:56.  Pace fell off after just a quarter mile and was doing 10 minute pace in the last lap.  It is becoming increasingly clear that IP-6 won't work even if I abstain from caffeine, which I did today.  It is possible but unlikely that a lowered dose or occasional use will work.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=1.0
-Tried Sam-e afterwards and it was an INSTANT FAILURE so scratch that option.
-I could try Ultimate B or simply quit all methylation support and if that won't work, I must go radical.  Looking bleak now.

1/13- As expected, I was awful but it was because the Sam-e has yet to clear not the IP-6.  In fact, I was actually slightly better after I took LOW dose IP-6 with plenty of Zinc.
Totaled 3 miles around the lake at Veteran's Park and did not even time it.  I will attempt the long run tomorrow.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=3.0

1/14- IP-6 is NOT going to work at least as a regular part of my cocktail.  I could try adding more zinc but that seems unlikely.  I'll either have to cut back on the Methyl Mate or go radical.  The BTC long run is actually tomorrow so I'm taking a planned rest day today.

1/15- I did attempt the BTC long run but had to drop out early.  Finished with 3 miles in 25:54 then added 2 more in 16:24 later in the day for an overall total of 5 miles in 42:10 (8:26 pace).  I am now 0 for 3 on long runs this year though I do have another chance tomorrow on MLK day.  I went with NEITHER methylation nor IP-6 today and it's still too soon to judge this.  In a half marathon race, I probably could have stuck it out and finished but it would have been well over 2 hours.  The Mendoza line for a half marathon is set at an even 2 hours.
Grade:F/2 credits/distance=5.0

Distance= 19.0  GPA= 0.57
YTD- 0-2 with a 0.84 GPA.  42 miles.

No comments: