Monday, January 16, 2017

Training 1/16-1/22

1/16- 3 miles from the Trak Shak in 27:15 (9:05 pace).  First half was sub-8 pace then DIED.  I tried a new probiotic yesterday that contains sulfate reducing bacteria.  I was MUCH worse after taking a 2nd one so if my sulfates are high, it is most definitely a wasting issue NOT an excess.  Once again, the methylation support had no impact one way or the other.

PM- Tacked on another mile on Wisteria just because I was bored.
Grade:D-/1 credit/distance=4.0
Update:
I expect Yasko's Ultimate B will arrive tomorrow.  It FAILED in the past but that was before I cleared the serum Iron.  Much has changed since then.  A lot of stuff that was necessary in the past (Calcium) is no longer tolerated.  Stuff that was not tolerated before (Glutathione) appears to be okay now.  Ultimate B supports the same pathway of the methylation cycle as the Methyl Mate but does NOT contain Lactoferrin.  Unfortunately, it does contain a couple other questionable ingredients.  It is becoming increasingly likely that I can get by with either no methylation support or only occasional use of it.  If that's true, I credit better Iron regulation as Morley predicted.  If I do okay with that strategy, I will postpone the radical solutions indefinitely.

1/17- Still weak from yesterday's trial with sulfate reducing bacteria.  Opened with a 7:46 mile and likely would have broken the Mendoza line with great effort.  Popped the Ultimate B and though I did not collapse, I was noticeably weaker.  Did the next half mile in 4:11 (8:22 pace).  PLUS 36.  That IS enough to be considered significant.  Tried methyl folate and produced an IDENTICAL 4:11 for an overall time of 16:08 (8:04 pace) for 2 miles.  MF was a non-factor.  Tacked on a mile cool.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=3.0
Reaction:
The only remaining conservative option is to stop the Methyl Mate and thus cut off the supply of Lactoferrin.  Betaine could be another possible substitute that didn't work before but appears to be okay now.  I really believe I can get by without MM now.  Will the Ferritin go down on its own or will I merely prevent it from rising further?  The Liver flush is still being considered.

1/18- Unplanned rest day.  Stupidly took Apple Cider Vinegar this morning and it was an immediate failure. That's further evidence that I took the Iron detox too far.   Got some good news.  TMG (aka Betaine) (methylation substitute) is tolerated.  That means that I have no need to take any product that contains Lactoferrin and theoretically, I have a path to balance.  We'll see how it goes off the Lactoferrin before I go ahead with the Liver flush.  The theory is that I have too much Iron stored in my organs and not enough in my blood and tissues.  A flush could solve this imbalance.  Blood donation could be dangerous with low serum Iron so I'll hold off on that.  Serious training starts tomorrow.

What's the risk of stopping all methylation support?
Sensitivity could come back with a vengeance.  At times, 2 pills left me over-stimulated but 3 pushed me all the way to the other side of spectrum feeling lethargic and depressed.  I NEVER want to go through that again even if I can PR when I have it all in line.  As long as I can tolerate at least occasional TMG, I'll never have to deal with that scenario again.

1/19- Well, I spoke too soon about the TMG.  I CANNOT tolerate it after all.  Suffered through 4 miles at Gold's in a time of 36:24 (9:06 pace) and faded to the 10 minute range at the end.  I still believe I can get by without methylation or only occasional use.  Tomorrow, things turn around.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=4.0

1/20- Split decision today.
AM- Embarrassing.  Did not take any questionable pills this morning and was WORSE.  Quit after 1.5 miles in 14:30 (9:40 pace).  It was apparent that I needed Methyl Mate.  I thought TMG was a substitute that covered the same part of the methylation cycle.  NO IDEA!

PM- I was slightly better after taking Methyl Mate but I got the idea to take a LOAD of Methyl Folate and just a trace of TMG.  BINGO!  This is the best I've felt so far in 2017.  The plot has thickened.  Do I really need the Methyl Mate?  I'll find out tomorrow but I'm sticking with this basic formula.  The workout was 3 miles in 21:17 (7:06 pace).  Faded on the back half (10:15-11:02) but I've still got to be pleased with this.  Tacked on a half mile cool.
Grade:C/2 credit/distance=5.0

1/21- Officially a long run but it was actually long intervals with testing.
1st mile with mega MF(2400) plus MM- 8:52
Next 3 miles with 1/4 of TMG pill- 25:20 (8:27 pace)
Next 3 miles with 1/2 of TMG pill- 24:18 (8:06 pace)
Mile 8 on whole TMG pill- 8:50
  Overall moving time was 67:21 for 8 miles (8:25 pace).
Extra Methyl Mate was a non-factor.  Extra MF HELPED after going too far with the TMG.  If I did not take enough TMG, it would have hurt.  I may be back to ratios.  IP-6 left me a bit weakened but the reaction was NOT severe thanks to the TMG.
Grade:C+/2 credit/distance=8.0

1/22- More long intervals.  This time I started on a full TMG pill and added more MF after each interval.  Without any MF, it would have been over 9 for 1 mile.
2400- 2 miles in 15:56 (7:58 pace)
3600- 2 miles in 15:02 (7:31 pace)
4800- 2 miles in 14:02 (7:01 pace) with a 6:57 closer.
6000- 1 mile cool down.  Noticeably weaker.
Overall moving time was an even 45-flat for 6 miles (7:30 pace) and I've got to be pleased with that.
I've ordered stronger MF at a dosage of 2500 mcg per pill.  A full TMG pill plus 2 of the new MF ought to work well (for now).
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=7.0

Weekly summary:
The TMG plus MF is the most promising option I've had for a long time.
Distance= 31.0  GPA= 14.6/8= 1.83
YTD= 73 miles.
Record: 0-3 with a 1.17 GPA

No comments: