Monday, April 24, 2017

Training 4/24-4/30

4/24- Normally, the day after I hit rock bottom, I can manage 3@8:30ish.  Not so today.  I went out around that pace but could not hold it.  Settled for a 27:45 (9:15 pace).  MINUS 39.  There is something deeper going on here beyond the B12 issues.  NADH may help but it seems unlikely that the low dose B12 will nor will extra MF.  I did my Ferritin re-test this morning and hopefully, it's the last one.  I'll be satisfied with anything close to 100.  I'm considering going back to Yasko's Methyl Mate if the Ferritin results are good.  The molybdenum will prevent it from rising again.  Without NADH, I can't expect to be much better until Wednesday evening.
Grade:D-/1 credit/distance=3.0

4/25-Rest day.  Feel just about as bad as ever so I didn't even try.  Ferrittin is 186 so that's almost no difference from last time.  Unless I can now tolerate IP6, my only chances to bring it down are a liver flush or blood donation.

Morley thinks methylation will take care of itself with Bee pollen.  I find that hard to believe but I'll give it a shot.  I know that Liver Beef is something that I REALLY can't take.  One piece of good news is that it appears IP-6 is tolerated for the time being.  That bodes well for the Ultimate B.  It should arrive before lunch tomorrow.

4/26-AM- No workout.  Bee pollen is a non-factor as predicted.  Best news is I felt noticeable improvement within minutes of taking NADH.  Jury is still out on the Ultimate B.  I was visibly sick at work and my co-workers knew it.

PM- MUCH BETTER.  3 miles in 21:51 (7:17 pace).  Even pace with a lot left at the end.  At least so far, Ultimate B is tolerated.  That is excellent news.  That means PABA and B-2 are not needed as stand-alone supps.  There is a chance that B-12 and NADH are not needed either.  Ultimate B does contain both.  I will see tomorrow with a trial and error workout.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=3.0

4/27-AM- 3x6 laps at Gold's:
Ultimate B with no extra B-12 or NADH- 4:30 (6:45 pace)
With NADH- 4:18 (6:27 pace) same effort
Added B-12- 4:34 (6:51 pace) with more effort
Reaction:
I will perform acceptably well without NADH but definitely got a boost with it.  B12 as a stand alone is going to be a NO and I pitched the high strength bottle.  I still did okay with it but was noticeably weaker.  The amount in the Ultimate B should be both tolerated and all I need.  Excellent news.

PM- Mountain Brook 5 loop (Canterbury-Jack's Shell-Overbrook-Jemison) in a solid 37:45 (7:33 pace).  Even pace on a hilly route.  Felt good and when the B-12 clears, it will get better.
Grade:A-/2 credit/distance=7.0

4/28- Short and quick.  I want to be ready for tomorrow's long run.  We're getting our first taste of summer this weekend so it will be tough out there.  Today, I went with no B12 as a stand alone and just 1 Ultimate B and NADH.  Did not do badly at all but I probably need 2 to perform my best.  3 miles at Gold's in 21:33 (7:11 pace).  Moderate effort.  Felt good during the run but it hurt afterwards.  If I can hold this pace for 10K, it will bring me home under 45 minutes.  I think I can do it.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=3.0

4/29- Run #1- Another EXTREMELY MADDENING failed group run.  Managed just 2 miles in 18:50 (9:25 pace).  I feared that the IP-6 or Ultimate B was the culprit.  Nope.  I need B-12 as a stand alone after all.  I should have seen it coming after yesterday's run hurt more than it should have afterwards.  Binged on caffeine in my frustration before realizing the problem.

Run #2- Despite being weakened by the caffeine, I improved to 23:30 for 3 miles at Gold's (7:50 pace).  B-12 was clearly the difference.  I still have to be careful about taking too much but it won't be a disaster if I do.  I should probably take it in the evening to get some clearance.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=5.0

4/30- The NADH looked like a miracle on Wednesday but has turned disastrous on Sunday.  I knew it before I started but just had to confirm it.  Vestavia track mile in 10:20.  1st half in 4:45 then RESTED and took a 2nd NADH and managed only a 5:35 on the back half.  The bottle will be pitched and I won't be surprised if B-12 as a stand alone gives me problems again.

Run #2- Improved to 9:17 on Wisteria.  Woopity doo!

#3- Improved all the way to 7:24.  NADH is clearing fast.  
Grade:F+/2 credit/distance=2.0

-24 miles on the week.  YTD: 507.



No comments: