Monday, December 11, 2017

Training 12/11-12/17

12/11- 2 miles in 17:54 (8:57 pace) plus a full mile cool down.  Day 1 was a success with no sugars.  I was HORRIBLE in the morning but did get a bit better as the day progressed.  Tomorrow, I will try to increase the PABA.  My gut feeling is to stay with the low dose Ultimate B even though it does contain a trace of NADH.  In the past, I was intolerant to NADH but could handle the Ultimate B.  An alternative to it is the Active B-2.  70 miles to go and I've got 20 days.  It's going to be close.
Grade: Freebie/0 credit/distance=3.0

12/12- AM- In an aggressive move, I upped the PABA to 500 on Day 2.  It was also clear that Ultimate B is still needed.  Improved all the way to 15:54 (7:57 pace) MINUS 60 in only 14 hours.  Splits were 8:10-7:44 and I'll be back out this evening hoping for a sub-Mendoza effort.

PM- Continued improvement.  4 miles in 31:28 (7:52 pace).  I'm encouraged that I am doing this well on just my 2nd day off sugar.  Even pace with something left at the end but I could not go much faster if this were a race.  HR: 152, Cadence: 174.  64 miles to go.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=6.0

12/13- Day 3. 5 miles in 37:36 (7:31 pace).  I actually expected to take a step back today because I jacked the PABA all the way up to 1200.  Yes, my legs were abnormally sore but they held up pretty well on the run.  Even pace that never went above 7:37 or below 7:25.  HR-157, Cadence-176.  59 miles to go.  I should be even better tomorrow when I am back down to 500 PABA.  Even at 1000+, I am betting that NADH still won't be tolerated.  I'll confirm that over the weekend.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.0

12/14- Day 4.  Tempo.  5 miles in 35:57 (7:11 pace) plus a cool.  Good job.  Slipped a little in Mile 4 but rebounded nicely at the end and kicked hard to get the sub-36.  I believe this was good for a sub-45 10K performance so once again, I'm right on the edge of respectability.  I've got further improvements in me but I know that I will level off soon.  It's halftime on the week and I have taken the lead.  A decent weekend will put me back over .500 for the 4th quarter.
Grade:A-/2 credit/distance=5.5

12/15- Day 5.  Easy 3 in 22:52 (7:37 pace).  Not as strong as yesterday.  I did dial back the effort but I think I should have been sub-7:30 for this short of a distance.  I took a stronger dose of Cal last night and I think I am going to cut that out and stick with Whole Food C. After Sunday, I will try the Thym Adren vs. ADHS and confirm that the NADH is bad.  Thanks to the glycine conjugation, it was not a disaster today even with the excess Cal.  Added a half mile cool, which puts me within 50 miles of 1500.  Barring injury or illness, I've got it now even though I'll probably lose 2-3 days over Christmas.  That's it for today.  I need a good long run tomorrow.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=3.5

12/16- Day 6 and I have cheated.  Hopefully, it's a one and done deal.  I knew as soon as I started that I didn't have it and quit within a couple minutes this morning.  Got home and confirmed that PABA was the culprit.  Also confirmed for all time that NADH is BAD!  That's the only positive out of this.  After it warmed up a bit, I went out to Vestavia for 7 laps at a glacial pace.  I did not even time it.  The only hope is that the PABA dose will stabilize.  I don't expect to be much better tomorrow.

PM- Another Vestavia 2 mile in 19:50 (9:55 pace).  I predict a mid-25 for 3 miles tomorrow.  No more than 200 mg of PABA and I'll try to get by without it.  46 miles to go.
Grade:F+/1 credit/distance=4.0

12/17- Day 7.  I didn't binge so the count continues but if I fail again, it resets.  I am now completely intolerant to PABA but there may be an explanation.  An anti-microbial supplement that I have been taking could be a viable and better substitute.  The workout sucked as expected.  2 miles in 18:56 (9:28 pace) MINUS 27.  Took just 50 mg of PABA and got MUCH WORSE.  Treated the 3rd mile as a cool down and it was well over 10 minutes, maybe even 11 minutes.  43 miles to go.

PM- Another 3 and my time is down to 26:54 (8:58 pace) MINUS 30 but it took a rally in the last quarter mile to get the sub-9.  In one piece of good news, it is possible that PABA is no longer needed if I take anti-microbial supplements.  40 miles to go.
Grade:D-/2 credit/distance=6.0

Weekly summary:
I now need to win the last 2 weeks to get the winning record for the 4th quarter.  The anti-microbial offers ONE LAST CHANCE!  With only 40 miles left to run, my chances of hitting 1500 are looking good even though I'll lose 2-3 days over Christmas.
Distance=33.0/ GPA= 17.1/8= 2.13
YTD: 1460 miles.  13-35 with a 2.23 GPA

No comments: