Monday, December 4, 2017

Training 12/4-12/10- Possible Race

The race would be the Jingle Bell 5K in Railroad Park.  It's a good course but the weather is likely to be less than ideal.  Winter has arrived and the early forecast calls for freezing temps with wind at race time.  We'll see how I feel.

12/4- 5 miles in 37:40 (7:32 pace).  Decent performance.  I should be at or near equilibrium with the NADH and PABA but perhaps 300 is still a bit too much.  250 or maybe even 200 should be better.  Felt great early but legs got sore in Mile 2 and the energy faded by Mile 3.  1st half was 18:20 but slipped to 19:20 on the back half.  Again, still decent overall.  95 miles to go.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.0

12/5- Unplanned rest day.  Began feeling lousy in the afternoon and in a shocking turn of events, it appears NADH is the culprit.  Once again, the final outcome is not final after all.  ARGH!

12/6- AM- One of my all time worst showings.  2 miles in 21:52 (10:56 pace).  I am officially done with NADH though I may confirm it after a week or two.  In another stunning development, I was BETTER after caffeine.  Caffeine may very well play a role in NADH/ATP production.  I'm staying off BOTH in the future.  For the time being, I have no choice other than to go back to Ultimate B.
-93 miles to go.  I may be back out this evening.

PM- 3 miles in 26:43 (8:54 pace).  An improvement over the morning session by more than 2 minutes per mile but that's still BAAAAUHD!   Tomorrow won't be much better either as I will have to deal with caffeine withdrawal.  I am almost certainly OUT for the Jingle Bell 5K but still on track for 1500.  Now have 90 miles to go.
Grade:D-/1 credit/distance=5.0
Reaction:
PABA is the stumbling block.  It's needed in small amounts for MTHFR and glycine conjugation but unless I am producing sufficient ATP, sensitivity will flare up if I take too much PABA because of the benzoic acid.  With sufficient ATP, PABA ought to be tolerated.   NADH worked for a while but now, it's too strong.  I will try again to drink nothing but water and eliminate as much sugar as possible because I know it interferes with ATP production.  I must rely on Ultimate B.

12/7-AM- No running this session but I must report that after just 24 hours off the NADH, the PABA intolerance has kicked in bigly. Perhaps that changes after a week or so off sugar.   It's going to be ugly this evening but I've got to get the miles in now.

PM- 3 miles in 26:28 (8:49 pace) plus a cool.  Not a significant improvement over yesterday.  PABA was the culprit.  If I had taken NADH, PABA would have been tolerated without a problem BUT the ill-effects from it would have been worse (likely over 30).  I've got to somehow boost my ATP production by some other means to tolerate PABA.  Count is down to 86.5
Grade:D-/1 credit/distance=3.5

12/8-AM- Looked to be an improvement early but died a half mile in and just slow jogged another mile untimed.  85 to go.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=1.5

PM- 3 miles at Gold's after leaving work early due to snow.  Modest improvement to a time of 25:51 (8:37 pace). Officially out for Jingle Bell and the race may not even go off.   Let the caffeine withdrawal begin. 82 miles to go.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=3.0

12/9- Race was cancelled due to snow but Gold's was open.  Cut the Ultimate B down to 1 pill and improved to 24:36 for 3 miles (8:12 pace) and managed a slight negative split (12:24-12:12).  Tried a 2nd Ultimate B and was noticeably worse.  Treated Mile 4 as a cool down.  78 to go.
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=4.0

12/10- AM-Another very interesting finding but not a good workout.  Tried to find the proper Ultimate B dose.  I was awful on 1 pill, only slightly better on 2 then awful again on 3.  Finished 3 miles in a pathetic time of 28:45 (9:35 pace).

PM- Surprisingly, I got better after taking more PABA.  Went to Vestavia for 2 miles in 16:48 (8:24 pace) then got worse after a forbidden drink.
Grade:D-/2 credit/distance=5.0
Reaction:
21 days to go.  It appears that NADH has failed and the caffeine had nothing to do with it.  I'll confirm that at the end of next week.  PABA will be tolerated if I stay clean. The reason is that  sugared drinks (even non-caffeinated) contain benzoic acid, which messes with PABA metabolism.  Stay off that and PABA will be tolerated?  21 days to get this cleared up or else I quit.

Weekly summary:
One of my worst weeks on record and it figures that it happened just after I declared victory.  21 days to go.  I somehow managed to stay on pace for 1500.  I now have just 73 miles to go.
Distance=27.0/ GPA= 1.01
YTD: 1427 miles.  13-34 with a 2.23 GPA

No comments: