Monday, December 25, 2017

Training 12/25-12/31

12/25- Planned rest day but I can feel that an adjustment is needed.  It's either the anti-microbial dose is too high and/or I am trending off the glycine.  I'll get back tomorrow and should have time for a few miles.

12/26- Junk run after the trip home.  I wasn't expecting much and was not upset.  Finished only 2 miles but learned that glycine is indeed trending down.  I was much worse after upping the dose from 500 to 1000.  I am cutting the anti-microbe from 2 pills back down to 1.  I won't be surprised if I am forced off those suckers eventually because the website said it is not for long-term high level use.  What will happen then?  Back on glycine? What about PABA?
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=2.0

12/27- 2 miles in 19:04 (9:32 pace).  That does it.  I am going off BOTH the Anti-Microbe AND the Glycine.  Did the first mile in 9:10 then popped just 250 glycine and was noticeably weaker.  Mile 2 was a 9:54 and it took a last lap rally to keep it under 10.  In addition to the weakness and fatigue, I am having GI distress.  I don't feel so bad about this relapse because I knew it would come eventually, just not so quickly.  Again, I expect the recovery to be slow.  The remaining options will be evaluated.  Good news is that I am just 5 miles shy of 1500.  I'd like to finish it up tomorrow even if it takes a double workout.
Grade:F+/1 credit/distance=2.0

12/28-AM- Day 1 off PABA, Glycine and Anti-Microbe.  So far so good so what?  2 miles in 17:29 (8:44 pace)  MINUS 48 plus a half mile cool.  Just what you would expect on the first day after a relapse.  I'll be back out this evening to finish the 1500 mile challenge.  The same workout will do it.

PM- 3 miles in 23:27 (7:49 pace) plus a half mile cool.  The recovery is quick this time.  Below the Mendoza line on Day 1, which is rare.  Not sure if that is good or bad.  The clean diet is a given going forward.  For the time being, I am going to roll with being off the 3 aforementioned products but I don't count on it being the permanent solution.  The 2 best options to prevent the need for PABA are occasional use of the Myers product OR regular use of Berberine.  If neither one works, that is officially the end of the line and I am done as a serious runner.  The odometer reads 1501 miles on the year so that's one goal that is accomplished.  I will slack the next 3 days.
Grade:C/2 credit/distance=6.0

12/29- Elective rest day.  I put off the sugar withdrawal until now because I knew I could not do it over Christmas.  The first day or two are always rough.  With the mileage goal accomplished, there is little more that I can do in 2017.  I will probably run a few over the weekend and finish around 1510 or thereabouts.
Update:
I have learned that intestinal dysbiosis and ATP deficiencies are indeed inter-related just as I surmised.  Now, I feel a little better about being forced off the NADH.  I will not try it again for a while and if the gut is healed, it should not be needed at all.

PM- Change of plans.  The need for glycine kicked in BIGLY today after a nasty reaction to Whole Food C.  Unfortunately, I overshot the balance point.  I never should have taken the full 1000.  I've got to build back up to it.  Workout was 3 miles in 25:53 (8:38 pace).  Got off to a sub-7:30 start then faded to 10:00 by the end.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=3.0

Reaction:
 I feared the worst when I got home but my initial thought was confirmed.  Extra C and Cal had no real effect BUT just TRACES of PABA, glycine and the Anti-Microbe made things MUCH WORSE.  If I had taken 500 glycine, I probably would have been okay.  Again, I'm okay with needing glycine but PLEASE NO PABA!  It seems very unlikely that another course of the Myers Anti-Microbial will be tolerated any time soon.  Most likely, it will be a while before it can even be taken occasionally.  I'll give Berberine a shot. 

12/30- 4x400 intervals at Vestavia with increasing glycine dose.  I knew I would be awful on 0 so I didn't even try.  Started at 250 and increased in increments of 250.
250- 2:28 (9:52 pace)
500- 2:22 (9:28 pace)
750- 2:08 (8:32 pace)
1000-1:52 (7:28 pace)
I'll take it.  Odds are the traces of the bad stuff from last evening haven't fully cleared but I interpret the tolerance to glycine as good news because I know I need it.  The enzyme is defective.  As long as I am off PABA, I still have a chance.
Grade:D-/1 credit/distance=1.0

12/31- Elective rest day.  Decided to sit on 1505 miles.

Weekly summary:
Closed out 2017 with one of my worst weeks on record.  Not what I wanted to see going into the new year.  Once again, I expect resolution one way or the other VERY SOON.
Distance= 14.0/ GPA= 1.33
Totals on the year:
14-36 record with a 2.23 GPA.  1505 miles.
All 3 measures are my best since 2014.

No comments: