Monday, May 28, 2018

Delmarva Road Trip Plan

Yes, I am planning a trip nearly a year in advance.  This race was the backup option for this Spring but New England fit my schedule better with the manageable Wednesday-Sunday double.  Anyway, the planned race is in the town of Salisbury, Maryland on the 2nd weekend of April.  That should fit my work schedule well because it is difficult to get audit appointments near the end of tax season.    I actually lived in Salisbury for a few months between my Freshman and Sophomore year of college back in 2000 and landed a summer job at K-Mart.  I can't believe that was 18 years ago.  Man, has it really been that long?  I've only been back once since then and that was about 15 years ago.

Here's the plan:
Day 1- Fly from Birmingham to Philadelphia.  To my knowledge, there is indeed a direct flight option.  It's about 2.5-3 hours south to Salisbury but I'll make a few detours.  I could cross into New Jersey for a few miles just because I can.  Knowing me, I'm sure that I will.  I'll probably stop in Delaware's capital city of Dover as well.  I will explore Salisbury a bit and I'm sure there are plenty of new buildings and am really not sure how much I will remember.  I know the K-Mart is no longer there, which is too bad. 

Day 2- Race in Salisbury (state #38) then drive maybe 45 minutes to Ocean City.  I'd like to have lunch at a place called JR Ribs if it's still open.  Of course, it will be way too cold for a swim but I'd enjoy a walk on that boardwalk as I spent many happy hours on that beach.  From there, I'll head south to Virginia's Eastern shore with a possible stop in Chincoteague, where I also spent quite a bit of time.  I'd classify southern Delaware and Maryland's eastern shore as "semi-southern" but once you cross into Virginia, you are most definitely in the South.  This part of the state is very rural but there could be some hidden gems such as a nice independent restaurant.  At any rate, I expect to hit the Chesapeake Tunnel by early evening and I'll stay in Virginia Beach for the night.

Day 3- Again, I want to walk on the boardwalk in Virginia Beach.  Maybe, I'll do a junk run if I feel up to it.  This was the first family vacation that I remember with any clarity but have not been back in 30 years.  I expect to remember little to nothing.  From there, I'll head northwest and stop in Richmond.  I was there about 15 years ago and definitely want to drive Monument Avenue, which is a site of one of the largest 10Ks in the country.  From Richmond, I will deliberately avoid the Beltway by taking 301 across the Bay.  I'll explore the Chesapeake region of Maryland for a bit and stay there for the night.

Day 4- Finish exploring the Chesapeake Bay then head back up to Philly.  I won't do any touring there this time around.  That can wait until the New Jersey/Delaware race combo.  I'll probably get a cheap motel near the airport and catch a flight back the next morning.

Not an epic trip but still could be fun. 

No comments: