Sunday, May 13, 2018

Sarcosine Product Review (Possible Accutane Antidote)

I've now been using this product for 6 weeks so I feel that I know enough to post a review.  Let's first review where I was before I ordered this product:

My chief complaint was EXTREME SENSITIVITY to supplements, some of which were necessary for me to function.  I would have TERRIBLE reactions to just a few specks of something as benign as Calcium and Whole Food C.  The latter is necessary for proper Copper and Iron balance.  What do I mean by these "terrible" reactions?  Literally within 60 seconds of swallowing the pill or simply taking a few specks, my entire body tightened up to the point in which when I tried to bend down to touch my toes, I could barely get below the bottom of my knees.

The best way to describe how it felt so my readers can understand is a flu-like malaise minus the fever and congestion plus more depression.  Symptom would begin to diminish over a period of 3-5 days but if I took another pill that I could not tolerate, the entire cycle would repeat itself again and again.  I would often get better for several days then just as my hopes were beginning to rise, I collapsed again.  Because it always occurred immediately after taking a pill, it was clear to me that it had NOTHING to do with my attitude or external circumstances.  It was not so obvious to others unless they actually witnessed it and yes, some of my closest friends and family saw it.  I know it's hard to believe but I swear it's true and if you are a regular reader of this blog, you should know it too.

Obviously there was something deeper than chemical imbalances in play here.  I posted over and over again that there is NO WAY that a normal person would have these type of  severe and immediate reactions to a benign mineral or vitamin even if it took my chemistry in the wrong direction.  I can understand getting dinged a bit by a few doses of the wrong pill and that's actually good because it lets me know that I am off track and I can make the corrections before it got worse.  However, what I described above should NEVER happen.  I long suspected that defective enzymes were the culprit.

How about simply avoiding the problem pills?  NOPE!  Reactions can flare up at any time.  What was yesterday's medicine could be tomorrow's poison.  After blood donation to clear excess Iron last year, I developed a critical need for Whole Food C.  Then, just 2-3 weeks later, I could not tolerate it.  Similar things took place with many other pills in my cocktail.  Something had to be done.

Though I have no medical diagnosis, I believe the culprit is a defect in the glycine conjugation pathway.  According to the following article, Accutane can cause a permanent up-regulation of the GNMT enzyme (Glycine N-Methyl Transferase)  http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/accutane-methylation-block-and-glycine-n-methyltransferase.26042/
Yes, I did try methylation support, specifically methylfolate.  Yes, it did help and allowed me to feel better than I did without it but it had to be taken with TMG and it did not resolve the unexplained sensitivity to other stuff.  Take more MF?  Though extra doses were tolerated, I saw no additional benefit above a dose of 400 mcg.  I tried Glycine itself and YES, it did resolve the sensitivity to other pills but in what I described as the ultimate in cruelty, I became intolerant to the Glycine.

Sarcosine is also known as N-Methyl Glycine and is an intermediary in recycling process.  I surmised that it was an intermediate step in the process that was blocked.  I could very well be right.  A more detailed explanation can be found in this post:
http://crazyj208.blogspot.com/2018/04/ordered-sarcosine.html

The RESULT
  The negative is that yes, I am sensitive to Sarcosine BUT fortunately, the optimal dose appears to have stabilized at 1 scoop per night (1 gram) and it has COMPLETELY ELIMINATED the sensitivity to other pills.  YES!!  If I take too much Sarcosine, I will be weakened but bounce back within a day or two instead of 3-5.  It was a mistake to try to take 2 scoops as directed.  For the time being, 1 scoop is all that I can tolerate but that could change down the road.  One time, I tried to go up to 4 scoops.  Although I could not run at all, I was NOT depressed.  In fact, I actually felt a definite uptick in my mood.

As of now, my best runs on Sarcosine are still slower than my best before it.  I'm okay with that.  Probably the biggest misconception about me is that I go to such great lengths ONLY because I want to run faster.  THAT AIN'T TRUE!  All I want out of this is stable chemistry.  Anything else is a bonus.  If my adrenal dysfunction was left completely untreated, I would be unable to work a full time job and live independently let alone be able to run. Although I am slower, I am more consistent and the depression has virtually vanished.  My need for adrenal suppressants (Thym-Adren) has increased in recent weeks.  That should be a temporary reaction and my doctor has told me that it is a common occurrence after solving a major problem.  This was MOST DEFINITELY A MAJOR PROBLEM!  I need to stick to drinking water only but a cheat day will not cause a collapse.  I'll just get nicked a bit.  In theory, I should get faster when the adrenals calm down and the body is back in balance.  However, even if I never run well again, it is still a trade that I was more than willing to make to resolve the sensitivity.

No comments: