Saturday, October 13, 2018

Another Look at the Remaining States

If I can finish Detroit next weekend and that is an IF, it would take me up to 39 race states.  I've given up on the idea of racing half marathons on back to back days.  Unless I am in sub-3:40 full marathon shape, back to back 13 mile training runs will not be a lot of fun.  I'd also prefer to avoid back to back weekend combos unless I can find LOTS of stuff to do in the 5-6 days between races.  The rental car is often the biggest expense of the trip.  They may quote a reasonable $30/day rate but there are all sorts of hidden fees, taxes, insurance and prepaid fuel that it usually ends up being more than double that amount.  A 7 day rental will cost an arm and a leg.  No thanks.  On the bright side, this does open up a lot of new possibilities.  Here is what's on my mind:

Set in Stone:
Washington- RnR Seattle.  This race is in June, which is the dry season up there.  I'll turn it into a near epic road trip with stops in Cannon Beach, Mt. Hood, Mt. Ranier and Vancouver, BC

South Dakota- Spearfish Canyon in July.  Heat could be an issue here but it does start at high altitude and goes downhill.  In something that only I would do, I'll go 8 hours out of my way to see Regina, Sasketchewan.  I've only got 3 more Canadian provinces to go and this is my best chance to check off this one.  Closer to the race site, I definitely want to see Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands National Park.

Maryland- Salisbury in April.  This is probably the front runner for next Spring.  I'll fly to Philly and head down the Delmarva peninsula then come back through Richmond and the Chesapeake Bay.

Rhode Island- Newport in October.  I won't say it is completely set in stone but it's pretty close.  There are a few things that I'd still like to see in both Boston and NYC including a Fenway Park tour and the Empire State Building.  This will be a scenic but somewhat difficult course so I hope I am up for it.

Maine and New Hampshire- Yes, I am willing to double here.  Maine has a Monday race near Portland in May as part of the same New England challenge that I used for Vermont this year.  From there, I will go to Quebec, Montreal and Ottawa before returning to the USA in New Hampshire for a Saturday race.  I'll be gone a whole week but this would be epic.

Hawaii- I'm saving this one for state #50 and I'm hoping to finish by 2021.  Odds are the one that I will target is a race in November on Veteran's Day weekend so it would be the last race of the year.

Flexible:
Utah- There are 3 Cottonwood Canyon races that are basically the same course in May, June and September.  I'll get to see at least 3 National Parks, possibly even the full Mighty 5 going to and from Salt Lake City.

Delaware- I can pick just about any race any time of year now that the combo with New Jersey is out.  The one that I am leaning towards is Caesar Rodney in late March.  The race is held in Wilmington on a Sunday.  It's just over 30 minutes from the Philly airport so I can do this one without missing any time at work.  I can also get a quick sample of Philly including the Rocky Statue, Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.

Iowa- Again, just about any race will do since I've already got Nebraska.  I'd probably go with one of 3 possible options in either Des Moines or Cedar Rapids.  I'll fly into Chicago and want 2 days of touring there.  Must sees include either the John Hancock or Willis Tower, Rush Street, Millennium Park and Lake Michigan.

Connecticut- I'd lean towards something in Hartford here.  I know there is one in early October but a Spring race will do as well.  Odds are in this case, since I would have already done lots of touring in New England, I'll just fly up and back within 2 days and may not even rent a car.

Unfinished Business:
New Jersey- I've not raced on the road or trail here.  My only organized race was a Junior Olympic track meet at Rutgers way back in 1995.  Yes, it's a real race but not a half marathon and not as an adult.  I found one in September that could allow me to swing another birthday visit/race trip similar to DC this year.  It's in Jersey City partly along the river with views of the Manhattan skyline.  I could fly to Newark and just take Uber to the hotel.

Minnesota- Here, I did finish an organized race and completed 13.1 miles but the official race distance was cut short due to heat and humidity.  Not my fault but it's still iffy to count it and my unofficial time was over 2 hours.  The official race would be in early June in Fergus Falls near Fargo.  It should be nice and cool further north and allows access to Winnipeg, Manitoba.  That would leave only Newfoundland to visit in Canada.

Pennsylvania- I did finish here but it was over 2 hours in a low key race.  Pittsburgh in May is the replacement.  As long as I am in shape to break 2 hours, it's a go.

Massachusetts- Again, I finished but running with a nasty sinus headache, I was over 2 hours.  The replacement race would be in Boston on Memorial Day weekend and could be combined with another Atlantic provinces Canada trip.  This one will likely wait until I finish 50.

No comments: