Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Training 10/22-10/28

10/22- Planned rest day.  Drive home.  After 21 days of drinking water only with just a single transgression, I cheated today.  No real problems as a result of it.  I'd say that YES, I can handle one cheat day per week but it is of utmost importance to keep it at one.  I cannot make a habit of it.

10/23- 2 miles at Gold's in 15:59 (7:59 pace).  I went with the Liver plus moly plan with no CBS.  It's too soon to say if it is going to work.  I expected to struggle today but it really wasn't as bad as I feared.  With my diminished fitness, I am not going to recover as quickly from these races.  What is certain is this:  Now that the protein bars are out, the CBS/NOS pills are too strong.  Scratch options 1 and 2.  It will either by Synthetic B12 plus moly  OR Liver plus moly.  I don't want to go down the road of having to break open capsule and estimate the optimal amount as I did in Detroit.  I predict that the results will be similar and I will end up doing a rotation of the 2 plans.
Distance=2.0

10/24- Unplanned rest day.  Cheated again today but there was a purpose for it.  I've said before that forbidden drinks DECREASE the tolerance for CBS pills.  Will cheating have the same effect on tolerance for moly?  Apparently, the answer is YES.  If I do cheat, do I need to take moly at all?  Again, the answer is clearly YES.  Sugared drinks do NOT reduce the demand for moly BUT they do reduce the tolerance.  The latter answer was confirmed today.  Habitual cheating will result in a situation in which I still need moly but can only tolerate a small amount of it.  BAD situation.  I will get back on track tomorrow but may face caffeine withdrawal over the next 2 days.  Hopefully, I will be recovered by the weekend.

10/25- Caffeine withdrawal hit this afternoon but it wasn't as bad as it was in the past.  It was worth it to know that forbidden drinks decrease the TOLERANCE to molybdenum but NOT the need.  I was willing to endure a rough day or two to find that out.  I'm betting that excess protein would have made things a LOT worse.  The workout was 2 miles on Jemison trail in a light rain.  Time was 17:06 (8:33 pace) and I was okay with it.  Should go up from here.  In fact, I was already feeling a little better by the evening.
Distance=2.0

10/26- 3 miles at Gold's in 23:48 (7:56 pace).  Under the Mendoza line but did NOT feel good in doing so.  Splits were 7:34-8:03-8:11 and if not for a late rally, Mile 3 would have been worse.  I have a strong feeling that NEITHER the molybdenum nor the CBS will be tolerated going forward.  Clean on the diet so I don't think that is a factor.
Distance=3.0

10/27- It's confirmed.  Both moly and CBS made things MUCH WORSE! I only took a trace of each! Did not even attempt the group run.  Can't run at all.  Completely disgusted.

PM- I've hit rock bottom.  Again.  1 mile on Wisteria in 10:39 running all out.  Splits were pretty even.  NO MORE MOLYBDENUM but I will not be the least bit surprised if the need flares up again by the end of next week.  Cutting out the moly may affect the need/tolerance for both the Liver and B12.  Not looking good at all.

PM- Decided to run again in the evening.  Improved to 7:57.9 at Vestavia.  Granted, a track run is a faster course than Wisteria but this is a BIG improvement.  Tomorrow will be the first full day off the moly.  We shall see what happens.
Distance=2.0

10/28- AM- Repeated the Vestavia Mile and my time improved to 6:55.3 plus a half mile cool.  Usual sandwich splits but a slight positive split this time.  Only needed a mild 4th quarter rally to break 7.  MINUS 62 and I've got to be pleased but I will not even consider myself "on the way back" until I am consistently under 6:30.  Best time of the year is only a 6:37.9

PM- Perfect weather today.  Took advantage with a Canterbury 3 miler plus another half mile cool.  Time on a hilly route was 22:52 (7:37 pace) and it was below 7:30 after Mile 1.  Strong negative split this time but that's to be expected with a downhill finish.  Still, I felt like I was getting stronger as the run progressed.
Distance=5.0

No comments: