Monday, October 1, 2018

Training 10/1-10/7- Race Week

10/1-AM- Junk mile on Wisteria.  Time was 10:50.  Not a lot of effort but I still should be better than this.  Back on Day 1 off the sugar.  Day 2 could be worse.

PM- Lakeshore 2 in 17:18 (8:39 pace).  Much better than the morning session.  Negative splits too.  Last half mile was 4:02.  I could see another crash tomorrow but at least in theory, I should improve from here.
Distance=3.0

10/2- Day 2.  Usual step backward.  Typically, the withdrawal symptoms peak after about 48 hours and today was no exception.  1 Mile in 9:44 on Jemison.
Distance=1.0

10/3- Day 3 and saw improvement throughout the day.  5 miles on Lakeshore in a time of 41:54 (8:23 pace).  Negative splits and felt stronger as the run progressed.  1st half: 21:24, 2nd half: 20:30 with a last mile in 7:56.  Foot was a bit sore afterwards but I expect to be okay.  MAYBE I have a shot at a sub-2 finish in Nebraska.  I can afford to slow the pace by 45 seconds but need to last 8.1 miles longer.  Further improvement is possible over the next 4 days.
Distance=5.0

Weather update:
Not this again.  Because of the remnants of Hurricane Rosa, the weather will be cold and unsettled.  It won't rain all day but it will be hit or miss at key times of the trip.  My best chance to hit Trail Ridge Road is Saturday.  The forecast high in Denver on Monday is 45F with a 60% chance of rain.  That means that it will be snowing at 9,000 feet and the road will be unsafe and probably closed.  Saturday's high will be near 60F so even at 12,000, it probably won't snow.

10/4- Repeated the Lakeshore 5 and my time is down to 40:46 (8:09 pace) MINUS 14.  Body clearly felt different today on Day 4.  Legs are beginning to loosen up but there are still a lot of kinks to work out.  Today, I went out faster with a 1st half in 19:53 but faded to 20:53 on the back half.  Still a LOT of work to do to get back to even semi-respectable showings but I think I've got a shot at a sub-2 in Nebraska.  8.1 miles longer but I have a full minute cushion on the pace AND I'll be fresh.
Distance=5.0

10/5- Into the taper.  2 miles at a leisurely pace on Wisteria.  Didn't even time it.  As for the pills, I am cutting out the synthetic B-12 and will go with the Liver alone.  B-12 is no longer necessary and may be slightly harmful.  I may eventually quit the B-complex but that will wait until after race day.  Made it through Day 5 with no problem.  Almost a quarter of the way there but I had better see some big improvements soon.
Distance=2.0

10/6- Planned rest day.  Just a few strides.  Lots of driving.
Distance=0.5

10/7- Autumn River Run in 1:57:xx.  Expectations keep getting lower and lower.  I was actually somewhat pleased just to finish under 2 hours.  I'm pretty much back where I started from.
Distance=13.5

No comments: