Monday, October 15, 2018

Training 10/15-10/21- Race week

10/15-AM- Vestavia Mile.  Hoped to beat my best of the year (6:37.9) but had to settle for a 6:56 and it took a 4th quarter rally just to break 7.  Progress is progress and I'm certainly better than I was just 24 hours ago but I was left disappointed in this.  I know CBS/NOS is still required but a couple tweaks may be necessary.  Do I up the Sarcosine or add Taurine?

PM- Very interesting.  MUCH WORSE after eating a protein bar.  Then got somewhat better after taking extra CBS/NOS.  Signs point to excess phosphorus and poor kidney function.  Protein bars will be STOPPED FOREVER!  Paramin will also most probably never be taken again.  I predict that sugar/caffeine/alcohol will be tolerated once per week but I must never again make a habit of it.  Made it through Day 15.  Not sure I trust the Liver Beef.  I will probably rotate with the synthetic B-12/molybdenum.  It also appears that the Liver Beef INCREASES the need for CBS/NOS.
Distance=2.0

10/16-AM- 4x400 at Vestavia.
0 CBS/NOS- 2:25 (9:40 pace)
1 CBS/NOS- 1:58 (7:52 pace) MINUS 1:48
2 CBS/NOS- 1:40 (6:40 pace) MINUS 72
3 CBS/NOS- 1:20 (5:20 pace) MINUS 80
 Pretty much full strength on 3 of those suckers.  I don't believe I would have seen significant improvement on a 4th.  If I had run a Mile on 3, I most certainly would have beaten yesterday's time and am probably under 6:30.  Perhaps if I continue to limit protein, I won't need as much CBS/NOS support.  If I go with synthetic B12/molybdenum, I may not even need it at all.  Odds are, I will rotate the 2 plans.  This is Day 16.  Only 5 to go.

PM- Chilly rain hit after my warm up so I shut it down.  I'm not going to gain any fitness before race day and I don't want to risk catching a cold.
Distance=2.0

10/17- Another one of those WHAT THE ____________ type of days!  Took the same formula that carried me to an 80 second quarter yesterday.  Today, it was a TOTAL FAILURE!  I could not run at all!  Fortunately, there is an explanation.  The excess protein has cleared my system and for that reason, extra CBS/NOS is no longer needed/tolerated.  I must confess that I cheated today but there was a good reason for it.

Ate a 20g protein bar and I was actually BETTER!  Then, got worse again after drinking a Coke at lunch.  What is the explanation?

Protein MOST DEFINITELY INCREASES the need/tolerance for CBS/NOS pills.  If I reduce the protein and cut out the bars, I cannot tolerate high doses of CBS/NOS.  Hell, I'm not even sure if I need it at all if I abstain from the bars.  I'll have to do better with/without tests for the next few days.  The Liver Beef MIGHT increase the need for it irregardless of the protein.  That means if I go with the B12/moly instead, CBS/NOS is less likely to be needed.  I think there is a chance that the CBS/NOS caused the intolerance to B12/moly.  Both reduce sulfur so perhaps I simply overdid it.

As for the forbidden drinks, if I consume excess protein, 1 Coke will actually cause me to feel BETTER because the acid breaks down the protein.  Again, if I make a habit out of it, probably not so much.  However, if I did NOT take protein and DID take the CBS/NOS, it will be a situation in which just half a can could trigger a reaction.  Here's the effect of on the demand for CBS/NOS
Protein bars- INCREASE demand for CBS/NOS
Sugared drinks- DECREASE tolerance for CBS/NOS
Liver Beef- MIGHT increase demand but it's unconfirmed.

If I go consistently without the sugar OR the protein, can I get a stable formula?  I'll save money if I can get off the CBS/NOS but I really don't care if it's zero or one of those suckers.  Just keep it the same every day.

10/18- 5 miles on Lakeshore with an overall time of 42:23 (8:29 pace).  Did the first 1.25 with no CBS/NOS and the pace was a steady 9:07.  Popped a pill and improved to an 8:16 pace on the last 3.75 with a 5th mile in 7:56.  Good news.

This was the outcome that I was hoping for.  I still need CBS/NOS support despite yesterday's overdose.  I probably would have been better if I had only taken half today but I'm not going down that road again. A 2nd pill would have taken me back over 9:00 pace or worse.  I did eat a protein bar 24 hours ago but that was most probably more than offset by the Coke and the overdose.  Tomorrow, it will be confirmed that I still need CBS support.  If I was going to need it, I'm glad the need flared up now rather than on race day.  The goal once again will be a sub-2 finish and I think I've got about a 50/50 chance.
Distance=5.0

Future options:
If I stay off the protein bars and limit sugar to once per week, I know for sure that molybdenum +CBS/NOS will be too much.  It will probably be the equivalent of 2 CBS/NOS pills.
Option 1: Liver + 1 CBS NOS with no moly (current formula)
Option 2: Synthetic B12+ CBS/NOS with no moly
Option 3: Liver + moly with no CBS/NOS
Option 4: Synthetic B12 + moly with no CBS/NOS
I predict that all 4 options will yield similar results and I will end up going with some type of rotation to guard against a zinc/copper imbalance that may occur if I go with or without Liver for too long.
It's too close to race day to experiment so I will keep the training updates going at least until the end of the month.

10/19- Junk run in Canada.  Planned to do a little more but called it quits after 1 mile because it started to rain and it was cold.  Interesting reaction.  It was clear even before the run that some CBS/NOS was needed.  This time, I only took half a pill and felt pretty comfortable on a 7:xx pace.  Took the 2nd half of the pill and was noticeably weaker.  With the same effort, I was about 30-40 seconds per mile slower.  I'm going with half a pill on race day and I like my chances.

10/20- Planned rest day.  Back in America.  Again, I went with half a CBS/NOS and feel decent.  Scratch options 1 and 2.  It will be a rotation of Liver and synthetic B12 with the moly and NO CBS/NOS.  If I'm not eating protein bars, it's too strong.

10/21- Detroit Free Press Half Marathon in 1:53:56 officially.
Distance=14.0

-24 miles on the week

No comments: