Saturday, March 30, 2019

Changes to the Remaining States

I'd like to double again in New England and knock out those states in fewer trips but I've got to face the facts:  I am simply not in shape to run 13.1 miles on back to back days no matter how slow the pace.  That seems unlikely to change at least in the near term.  12 states to go:

Iowa- This is the next one.  The race is called the Kewash race in the town of Washington, just south of Iowa City.  I'm stopping in St. Louis, Chicago and Springfield.

Rhode Island- I'd like to double here with Connecticut but that's not happening.  I suppose that I could do one 7 day trip on back to back weekends or a pair of 2-3 day trips.  I'm going with the latter option.  I've not been to Providence so I'll fly up and back within 2 days and won't have to rent a car.

Washington- Seattle RNR.  This will be an epic trip to Vancouver, BC, the Oregon coast and Mt. Ranier NP.

Connecticut- There is a free entry race in August in the coastal town of New London.  I'll fly to Boston, maybe hit Fenway Park, then race.  After that, I will spend a day on the beach.

New Jersey- Another one and done.  Fly to Newark, take Uber.  Race in Jersey City.  Leave.  I may be able to swing a trip to visit my parents to break up the trip home.

Maine- There are several in Bar Harbor and that's good because that's plenty for a stand alone trip.  I could see Acadia NP and nearby Quebec City.

New Hampshire- In another change, the current pick is the NH-VT Covered Bridge race in June.  As the name implies, half the race is in Vermont but that still counts for NH because it starts and finishes in the state.  The race is right on the Canadian border so I'll fly to Burlington, VT and go to Montreal and Ottawa.  In Burlington, Lake Champlain is really nice with views of the Adirondacks.

Maryland- Salisbury is my top pick but if there is a conflict, I'd be fine with Ocean City.  Either way, I fly into Philly and drive down the Delmarva peninsula then come back through Virginia and the Chesapeake Bay.

Utah- There are 3 options in Cottonwood just south of Salt Lake City.  I'd opt for late-Spring or early Summer so I can see Twin Falls, Idaho at its peak (Niagara of the West).  From there, I will see Moab and Bryce Canyon.

Minnesota- Tried to do this last year but the distance was cut short due to heat and humidity.  Don't think I can count it.  Fly to Fargo.  Race in Fergus Falls.  Go to Winnipeg, Manitoba.

South Dakota- Spearfish Canyon.  See Mt. Rushmore, Badlands NP and Regina, Saskatchewan.

Hawaii- #50.  The race is in November in Honolulu.




No comments: