Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

 

There were 4 lab values that tested outside the reference range in addition to the Basophils plus one borderline reading.  There is one in particular (MCHC) that may explain a lot.  However, none of them were off the scale, which gives me little confidence that my sensitivity will be resolved with treatment. 

Hemoglobin was HIGH- not worried about that at all.

Eosinophils was borderline- related to Basophils, indicated possible autoimmune issues

RDW was LOW- According to Web MD, that’s no real concern

Now on to the ones that are a concern:

MCH- 34.7 (ref range is 27-31).  A high reading usually indicates anemia due to low B-12.  I’ve not been as diligent lately about taking B-12 due to other issues and the lack of a significant response to it.  I’ll get back on track.  Again, it was not terribly high.  Let’s say it was over 50?  That would be a big problem.

MCHC- 37.8 (ref range is 31.8-35.4).  Again, this is not off the scale high.  I WANT to see something extreme because that would explain my symptoms.  Still, this one may explain a lot.  A high reading here usually indicates an autoimmune condition called Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, in which your red blood cells are under attack because they are mistaken for an invader. 

Often times, when I try to run, I feel reasonably well early then SUDDENLY DIE!  That’s what happened on Saturday.  My pace was in the high 9s in Mile 3 but over 13 minutes in Mile 4.  Granted, I am out of shape, but it should NOT hit me all at once.  If I was fighting to hold a pace in the mid-high 10s in Mile 5, that would be understandable.   In my last few races, the story was the same.  I was doing around 9 minute pace or slightly under for the first half of the race.  Then when I got to Mile 8 or 9, I went from feeling reasonably well to flat out AWFUL within a matter of seconds.  A low RBC count could certainly be an explanation.   I would think that the doctor would refer me to a hematologist rather than a rheumatologist over this.  I still haven’t talked to him about the results. 

Treatment:

The corticosteroid Prednisone is often prescribed.  That makes me feel uneasy.   I think it would be safe to take for a short time, but long-term high-level use is known to damage both the immune system and the adrenal glands.  Will the Prednisone stop the sensitivity?  I doubt it.  I may be back to a situation in which I have some good days and some awful ones.  That’s still preferable to what I am dealing with now.

Sensitivity:

I saw improvement yesterday evening after taking additional Fulvic Acid for detox.  In order for that to be tolerated, I need to take Taurine.  In order for the Taurine to be tolerated, I need to take Probiotics.  In order for the Probiotics to be tolerated, I need to take Lactoferrin.  One missed pill spells disaster and come next week, the necessary formula could be different.  I can’t live like this and be happy.  Nobody can.  There has got to be an explanation for this and I’m tired of waiting for the detox to work.  I’m not even sold that it’s the cause and I think it’s highly unlikely that this form of anemia explains it or that Prednisone can cure it either.   One thing that I am willing to try is an anti-Cytokine supplement.  I purchased a bottle of that stuff in case of a COVID infection but never really tried it.  I think it’s still in my cabinet but I will re-order in case I accidentally threw it away. 

No comments: