Thursday, August 4, 2022

Florida/Georgia Weekend

 This was an impromptu trip.  Birmingham had a 90 percent chance of rain last weekend while south Georgia and north Florida were expected to 95 degrees with sunny skies and a low chance of rain.  I did not leave work early but drove as far as I could on Friday night, which turned out to be Dawson, Georgia.  Eufaula, Alabama is a cool town with lots of nice antebellum homes, but I had to get a little closer to the Atlantic.



 I arrived in Brunswick, Georgia in mid-late morning for a walking tour of streets lined with palm trees and Spanish moss before turning to Jekyll Island.  This was a bit of a disappointment.  In early August, you will find 85-degree water on the Atlantic from Miami all the way up to Charleston, but the surf can be light.  At Jekyll Island, surf is often blocked by sandbars and the water is a muddy brown.  Just north at St. Simon’s Island, I found less sand but a bit clearer water.  Still, surf was minimal in both locations. 






The original plan was to go to Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island across the border in Florida the next morning.  I chose to head down there in the previous afternoon to steal some surf action.  It proved to be a good call as I had a lot of fun in a short time.  Surf was pretty strong.  I actually went down once and caught countless rides to the shore.  If you want to catch a wave in Georgia, stick to Tybee Island just outside of Savannah.   After another fun session, I hit the road just after noon and it was a smooth ride back.  Amelia Island also has a beautiful park in which the sky is covered by a canopy of Spanish moss and palm tree fronds with several hiking trails.









Final thought:

I wish I had more time but yes, the Atlantic coast is do-able without any time off work.  Tybee Island is about 6-6.5 hours from Birmingham while both Charleston and Amelia Island are about an hour further.  





No comments: