Monday, May 23, 2016

Intolerance to Methyl Folate

EDIT:  I AM BETTING THAT THE TEMPORARY INTOLERANCE WAS DUE TO EXCESS CAFFEINE AFTER KC.  I AM OFF CAFFEINE AND ONCE AGAIN NEED METHYL FOLATE!

I feel like my need/tolerance for Methyl Folate has been diminishing for the past 10-14 days.  As it is, I did okay in Kansas City but I most likely would have been better (1:40-1:42) if I had reduced the dose on race morning.  Only 7 days after race day, it quickly became apparent that MF was giving me problems.  I crashed just 2 miles into a long run and found that an extra dose made it WORSE.  Today, I cut the dose significantly and came through half mile at 3:40 (7:20 pace) but fading.  I popped only 50 mcg (1/8 pill) and slowed all the way to 5:26 (10:52 pace) on the back half. 

Implications:
I feared that I would no longer be able to tolerate the Methyl Mate without the MF but fortunately, that does NOT appear to be the case (so far).  I was no worse after taking another one of those suckers.  However, my need for ADHS (adrenal modulator) has definitely ticked up.  3 of those pills were not enough on Sunday and I improved after taking 3 more. 

Discovery:
I know now that the cause of my insatiable need for adrenal supplements is 2 fold.  The sulfur toxicity increased my cortisol and caused runaway adrenal function but when I started on the B-12+ molybdenum plan, it quickly became apparent that the Thym-Adren (suppressant) was too strong and I had to go with the modulator (ADHS).  The 2nd reason is the up-regulation of the GNMT enzyme, which is slowed by methyl folate.  When on MF, yes I still needed the ADHS to function but I could get by on a much lower dose.  When my supply was running low leading up to KC, I twice managed 5@ sub-8 pace without too much effort despite taking only 1 pill.  Now, I can’t manage that on 3 of those pills and need 6 once again for optimal results. 

Expectations:
I believe the intolerance is only temporary.  I am homo on the MTHFR 677 gene so I clearly have a need for it.  I developed an intolerance to Lithium back in early March of this year but come mid-April, I needed it again.  I believe the same will happen with MF.  Why is it happening?  It could be sulfur related and I’ve ordered CBS/NOS caps as well as the RNA drops from Yasko.  It’s possible but not likely that those help.  Extra B-12 and moly did nothing except give me diarrhea.  It’s also possible that I am releasing too many toxic metals, which does make sense.  If that’s true, a break from MF will be all I need.  I will send out a new hair and amino acid test by the end of the week and should get answers before Alaska. 

Flashback:
Back in 2005, the only thing that came back abnormal on a standard blood test was an elevated homocysteine level, which my Mineral Denialist wrote off as no big deal.  If my SAM-e was low (wasn't tested), it would have been a sure sign of a methylation disturbance.  As it was, given my descriptions of sensitivity to pills, he SHOULD have known it.  Instead, I got anti-depressants and a referral to a quack psychologist.  If you read this blog, you should know that there is NOTHING psychological about my sensitivity issues.  Simply popping 1 pill can cause a reaction within minutes.  I know it's hard to believe but I swear it's true and those who have seen it happen will vouch for me.

Any Mainstream Options Out There?
There is a drug call Depsin (I think that's its name) that CONTAINS methyl folate. That's how I SHOULD have been treated in mainstream medicine.  If there were a couple prescriptions that would restore 90% of my abilities, would I take it?  HELL YEAH (with a southern accent).  I'd probably not even mess with the natural supps.  Unfortunately, no such drugs exist.  The prescription Depsin contains LOTS of artificial stuff and I bet I'd be ultra sensitive to it as well.  Moreover, large doses of MF without B-12 would lead to B-12 deficiency and sulfur toxicity.  At that time, I had no idea that not just any B-12 would do so I'm nearly certain that if given that prescription back then, it would have failed.

Future:
  I'm staying on my current path and I'll get some more answers from the hair and amino acid test results.  I do have the option to see a functional medicine doctor in Nashville who has experience with methylation and can give me professional advice.  The first visit would cost $450 and I really don't know if he'd tell me anything that I did not already know.  No thanks.

No comments: