Sunday, May 8, 2016

Training 5/9-5/15 (race week)

I've done most of my experiments already so I have a good idea of what's going to work and what won't. I have a pretty good idea of how much B-12 is necessary (probably around 4 mg).  Again, I won't be horrible if I'm a little off.  There are only 2 questions that I'd like to answer:
1) Do I still need the ADHS (adrenal modulator)?  I feel safer taking it but I'd like to see how I do after a couple days off it.  My stock should be replenished before I leave but I need to go low so that if I do need it and my new shipment does not arrive, I'll have enough left on race day.

2) How much molybdenum?  Just once, I want to load to see what happens.  I know I need it to control the sulfates but it appears that I may do best on a low dose.  If I add Mitoforce, which contains glutathione, more may be needed.  That won't happen until after race day.

Training plan:
Low volume this week but I want a couple good quality sessions.  I'd like to get a fast 3 or 5 miler in and I'm not worried about being slightly less than fresh.  Time is not all that important at this stage.

Travel:
I'm leaving after lunch on Thursday and I'll go halfway.  After the race, I'm leaning towards staying in KC Saturday night rather than heading home.  If I do that, I won't be able to make it back in 1 day and will have to take at least half a day off Monday as well.  I've got enough leave at work.

5/9- Question #1 has been answered and it is a YES.  I do need ADHS.  I did not need to run to find out either.  Went with only 2 pills and it wasn't enough to perform well but it did keep me afloat.  3 miles on Lakeshore/Brookwood in 22:36 (7:32 pace) with very even splits (7:32-7:34-7:30) though I was working a little harder than I would have liked at the end.  Moderate effort overall.  I ordered the new bottle on 5/4 so it certainly SHOULD arrive by the 12th but until it does, I've got to conserve.
Distance=3.0

5/10- AM-Took just 1 ADHS and got by okay. Easy 5 miles in 39:44 (7:57 pace).  Comfortable all the way with very even splits (19:50-19:54).  No doubt that I can hold this pace for another 5 miles and even if I slip to 8:30 on the last 3.1, I'll still manage a 1:46, which is 10 minutes better than last time.  Taking the full ADHS dose on race day will only improve my speed and stamina.
Distance= 5.0

5/11- The new shipment of ADHS still has not arrived.  No panic even if it doesn't arrive tomorrow before I leave.  I still have 9 pills left, which will last me through the weekend.  Workout was the Trak Shak 5 in 85 degree weather. Again, I took 1 ADHS and performed marginally better than yesterday.  Finished in 38:55 (7:47 pace) with relatively even splits.  1st half: 19:20, 2nd half: 19:35 with every mile at sub-8 pace.  I did cut the methyl folate from 3 pills to 2 but upped my Jigsaw so I'm getting the equivalent of 2.5 (1000 mg/day).  This is not a statistically significant improvement and I really cannot attempt a quality session without the full dose.
Distance=5.0

5/12- Pills did arrive today so I took the full dose before I left.  Hit Gold's for 2 miles fast and controlled.  Felt a clear difference from the normal dose.  Finished the distance in 13:26 (6:43 pace) with splits of 6:41-6:45.  Tempo effort.  I had more in me than this but a sub-20 3 miler would not have happened today.  I do think I'm in low-21 shape for 5K though.  Hit the road after a late lunch and made it to Hardy, ARK.  That's a small town just over an hour NW of Jonesboro close to the Missouri line.
Distance=2.0

5/13- Planned rest day.  Made it to Kansas City by mid-afternoon.  The expo was nothing more than a packet pick up in a shopping center but I scored a hotel within walking distance of the start/finish.  I've got a full day planned for tomorrow so I need a good rest tonight.

5/14- Scout Challenge Half marathon in 1:45:58 officially (8:05 pace).  Course was tougher than expected and pills were a little off but thanks to methylation, it was not a disaster.  Added a warm and cool.
Distance=15.0

5/15- Planned rest day.  Drove back to Nashville and stopped there for the night.

-30 miles on the week.

No comments: