Monday, June 20, 2016

Training 6/20-6/26

6/20- Back to the Ham.  Got in just before lunch.  Stopped at Gold's for more experimental Mile reps this time with ADHS.  I'm jet lagged so I wasn't expecting much but I still found out what I needed to know.
Zero ADHS- 7:39 at moderate effort.  Surprising pop in my legs.
3 ADHS- Down to 7:16 on similar effort (MINUS 23)
6 ADHS- Up to 7:54 and had to rally for a sub-8 (PLUS 38).
Distance= 3.0
Reaction:
ADHS is an adrenal modulator so it should not hurt me to take extra.  It does contain an unspecified amount of Lithium as part of a proprietary blend so that's likely the reason.  I'm going with 3 of those pills but may cut it to 2 temporarily.

PM- I said both or neither regarding MitoForce and CBS/NOS caps.  The answer is neither and I did not have to run to find out.  Tomorrow could be rough as well but that's okay.  It's going to take at least 2 more days to recover from the jet lag anyway.  Ordering the Ultimate B and this is my last experiment.
Distance=3.0

6/21- Summer solstice.  90 degree temps but dew point was only 65.  5 miles on Lakeshore in 37:54 (7:35 pace).  Decent performance.  Faded to the 7:40s in Mile 3 but held it there the rest of the way.  Come August, it will be just as hot but more comfortable because it will be closer to twilight at 5:30 PM.  First day off Lithium and I may have still had some CBS in my system.  Somewhat encouraging but it will take time to bring Lithium down.
Distance=5.0

6/22- Planned rest day but it was such a nice evening that I decided to go a 2 mile junk run naked.
Distance=2.0

6/23- Gold's 3 in 26:57 (8:59 pace).  Weak effort but I know the reason.  I binged on caffeine again after the race.  I can afford to cheat once but not 3 times.  Better than yesterday and I should be okay by Saturday.  Ultimate B pills arrived but I won't try them until Sunday.  Again, this is the last experiment before the formula is set.
Distance=3.0

6/24- AM.  2 miles in 15:54 (7:57 pace).
PM- 3 miles in 23:49 (7:56 pace).
Never tired but no power in my legs and it felt like I was stuck in 2nd gear.  Pace was very even.  I just want to finish tomorrow.  I don't care about the pace.
Distance=5.0

6/25- 6 AM- FAIL.  1 mile in 11:15 and did not even attempt the BTC group run.  The culprit is methyl folate for sure.  I've had minimal caffeine the last 3 days too.  Only good news is that I was slightly better after taking the Ultimate B.  I may try again this afternoon.

10 AM- Despite temps pushing 90 with full force sun, I improved to 9:19 on Wisteria (MINUS 1:56).  The difference was clearly Ultimate B.  No caffeine or sugar for that matter for the next few days.  It will be experimental intervals at the track tomorrow and I still expect to have the formula set within the next 5 days.
Distance=2.0

6/26- 8AM.  Experimental intervals at Vestavia.  Started with Methyl Mate and Ultimate B plus everything else normally taken except Methyl Folate.
ZERO MF- 400 in 2:31 (10:04 pace).  BEYOND AWFUL
400 MF- 400 in 2:24 (9:36 pace).  ONLY SOMEWHAT BETTER
800 MF- 400 in 2:23 (9:32 pace).  ESSENTIALLY NO IMPROVEMENT
1200 MF- 400 in 2:23 (9:32 pace).  IDENTICAL
1600 MF- 800 in 4:48 (9:36 pace).  PERHAPS A SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT
2400 MF- 800 in 4:46 (9:32 pace).  NO BETTER BUT NO WORSE
Verdict:
  Ladies and gentlemen, we have a split decision.  I felt terrible overall and it's obvious that the Ultimate B is not going to work BUT there was NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 400-2400!!  Odds are there was an ingredient that recycled the MF and reduced my sensitivity to it.  That ingredient is most probably the Ribo-5-Phosphate but there are other ingredients that I cannot tolerate.  I'm going to toss the Ultimate B and order R-5-P as a stand alone.  I might try some mucuna prueins down the road to boost dopamine and/or slowly increase the ADHS but this is the end of the experiments until further notice.  The formula will indeed be set.

PM- Gold's 3 in 27:30 (9:10 pace).  Perhaps slightly better than the morning session but that's probably because it was indoors with 70 degree temps vs. 85 and sunny outside even at 8-9 AM.  Very even splits and could have gone longer but no power at all and no access to anything beyond 1st gear.  The R-5-P will likely arrive by Wednesday night and I'm not sure what I'll do until then.
Distance=5.0

Weekly summary:
28 miles on the week but only Tuesday was respectable.  Learned a lot and the formula should be set by the end of next week.  YTD: 574 miles.


No comments: